DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: MikeD Vuja Day - Mon 06/07/15 19:59 UTC
Anyone else remember a mediocre mid 90s movie called 'The Net' with Sandra Bullok? Just watched it again ... it's on NetFlix.

While (for the 90s) the 'tech' was really 'bogus', as I watched it today I was thinking that a lot of what was being done is a =lot= more doable today and getting more doable every day.

Prophetic?
Posted By: Muddy Re: Vuja Day - Mon 06/07/15 22:15 UTC
I kinda remember this although my brain may have blocked some of it out due to it being largely cheesy.
Posted By: Barry Mulvihill Re: Vuja Day - Tue 07/07/15 12:32 UTC
Cheeky and I were just talking about that movie the other day. We saw it years ago and really liked it and wondered what ever happened to it. We had a VHS copy but never saw it on DVD.
Posted By: KenSeg Re: Vuja Day - Tue 07/07/15 12:41 UTC
I remember it. Maybe the first movie about computer identity theft? smile
Posted By: Neptune Re: Vuja Day - Tue 07/07/15 18:30 UTC
Yeah. I remember that flick well and liked it. I've often suspected that it was the truth presented as fiction. Do software companies can generate business by artificially creating a need for their products?
Posted By: Zeim Re: Vuja Day - Tue 07/07/15 19:33 UTC
Just look at Apple. Steve Jobs was famously quoted as saying he did not want his company to provide for the consumer what they needed. He said Apple would create the product and then create the consumer's need for it.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Vuja Day - Tue 07/07/15 21:26 UTC
Nep, at the time that the movie was written much of the 'tech' that they =supposedly= used didn't exist, wouldn't have been possible.

That is =not= so much the case today. That was the thing that struck me when I was re-watch the movie. If they had wanted to 'scare' folks into being more careful, setting the same sort of movie in today, where folks have a better understanding of how 'connected' things are today, would have been the plan <g>
Posted By: Neptune Re: Vuja Day - Wed 08/07/15 19:41 UTC
Maybe not, but the premise, that virus protection software firms were spreading viruses that they would then have the cure for, absolutely was.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post