DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Anonymous RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 15:07 UTC
2016 contines to be a complete and utter bastard of a year, as yet another of the giant figues of the progressive rock world passes.

Much like Chris Squire, who died last year, Keith Emerson was one of the defining figures of progressive rock. He was both a virtuoso musician and a showman, combining jaw-dropping keyboard pyrotechnics with sticking daggers into a Hammond organ. In some ways he was to the keyboards what his contemporary Jimi Hendrix was to the guitar.

As this wonderful tribute by Anne-Marie Helder,, who knew him, says, he was also a wonderful human being with no trace of rock star ego.

I saw him live the once, when ELP reformed to headline the main stage at the High Voltage Festival at Victoria Park in London in 2010, which turned out to be one of their last gigs together. Even if they weren’t quite the band they had been at their peak, it was still a hugely enjoyable and entertaining show, everything a festival headliner should be.

For some of the punk generation, he represented the antithesis of everything they stood for. But surely his taking avant-garde classical music and performing it in the most rock’n'roll manner imaginable a lot closer to the spirit of punk that much of today’s derivative indie music?

Rest in Rock, Keith, and enjoy jamming up there with David Bowie and Lemmy.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 15:44 UTC
Wow what a jamm session must be going on up there now...
Sheesh.
Posted By: Zeim Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 16:19 UTC
I saw ELP at their height, in the 70's, at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Right after "Brain Salad Surgery" came out. Probably the best show I've seen.

Sad.
Posted By: MikeD Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 17:07 UTC
There is an awesome youtube of Keith with Oscar Peterson that is worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQIobg0BwU
Posted By: J-J Vomact Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 19:15 UTC
Thanks for that, Mike. I'm a huge Oscar Peterson fan, didn't realize he and Keith had played together.
Posted By: Exeter Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 19:37 UTC
Great clip, Mike...
Posted By: MikeD Re: RIP Keith Emerson - Sat 12/03/16 21:31 UTC
My favorite part is how well they 'meshed' despite the differences in background, style and the like.

And Yeah JJ. Oscar is one of the most under appreciated talents of his era <sigh> He and Ray Brown (another under appreciated talent) played with =everybody= at one time or another (often together) and did it with such style!!
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post