DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Phoenix Prime Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Thu 06/04/23 17:01 UTC
TTAP

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover

Despite being dated and very sedate, this attraction at Disney World in Florida is one of my favorites. I enjoy the nostalgia of it. It's a piece of Disney history and it allows me to slow down and relax a bit so I can enjoy the moment and the blessings in my life that allow me to go to Disney World and Disneyland as often as I do.

The history of this ride is an interesting one to me. In truth, the concept wasn't meant to be a 'ride' at all. Walt Disney was a visionary and an innovator at heart. He was always looking to improve things that made life more convenient and efficient. Los Angeles traffic was a growing problem in the 60s. (It has only gotten worse since then). Walt was already 'imagining' what a 'city of the Future' might look like and he had an idea for a mass transit system that would always be running and people could board it to get to and from the city to the various residential areas of his dream city.

In order to promote the concept he submitted it for display at the World's Fair in New York in 1964. In order to get such a large undertaking built and ready in short order, Disney sought out help from Ford Motor Company. They built the massive 'ride' with actual cars on the track to demonstrate how a coordinated transportation system could alleviate traffic and frustrations and accidents.

Walt's dream of an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT- and no this isn't your ACRO) was in full swing and he had been promoting on the Wonderful World of Disney as part of the Florida project- which would become Walt Disney World.

Ultimately the Peoplemover design was retooled for use in the Disneyland Park as a ride through Tomorrowland. It was operational in 1967, after Walt Disney's death (12/5/1966). One was built for WDW in 1975. But, EPCOT never achieved the vision that Walt had hoped for...

Submit your offerings to me in email or PM by Sunday 4/10/23. I will make the final check Monday morning and move us to the voting phase then.
Posted By: Mousedood Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Thu 06/04/23 17:49 UTC
What an absolutely wonderful and enthralling tale you've told us. An icon from history, to be sure. Thank you for this! And while I can be verbose at times, I am not going to wax as grandiloquent as you did. Transmitted Totally Appropriate Phrase.
Posted By: Mousedood Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Thu 06/04/23 17:52 UTC
BTW, I can remember the day after the news broke of Walt's death. The Chicago Tribune had one of their political artists draw a front page panel. It showed Mickey holding a worn photo of Walt. Mickey had a huge tear falling from his eye. The caption read, simply, "Mickey's Daddy Is Dead." I was on my paternal grandparents couch when I saw it on the newshead where the top story of the day would normally be. I remember being very sad for Mickey that day.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Thu 06/04/23 18:47 UTC
I love that attraction! It truly is one of my favorites, 'cause it feels like you're going behind the scenes into a few other attractions (Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear). When my family wants to ride Space Mountain, I just hop on it and go around in circles. If the line is short they sometimes let me even stay in the car. grin

Typed TTAP Acro & PM'd.
Posted By: Dugan Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Fri 07/04/23 06:03 UTC
PM sent.
Posted By: Miales Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Fri 07/04/23 12:17 UTC
TTAP sent..

Sad story Mackey. Unfortunately for me this is the one I can't unforget for Mickey...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Fri 07/04/23 13:16 UTC
Transferred Terrific ACRO Promptly
Posted By: Shamrock Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Fri 07/04/23 16:22 UTC
PM sent

[Linked Image from people.delphiforums.com]

Semper ubi, sub ubi
Posted By: Weez Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Sat 08/04/23 02:14 UTC
Miales! Why did you do that to the rest of us?!?
Posted By: Weez Re: Round 7: New Acro - TTAP - Sat 08/04/23 02:26 UTC
Great choice Phoenix! We love the people mover and wish they still had it at Disneyland which is the park we go to the most.

Thinking on the def and hope to get it to you by morning.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post