DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Wolf HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 11/10/15 23:15 UTC

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks
Hasday, the Twelfth Day of Scholar

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah and Rory

It did not take long for Kadri and Mikal to reach the low terrace, to be just a few inches above the slowly moving water. The air was damp, tinted with the taste of salt, and the smooth worn stone was still slick and treacherous.

Every so often a wave would just crest the top of the stone, sending a film of water pooling across a portion of the terrace until that rogue wave receded.

Behind them followed Bekkah, having left Twls at the top of the cliff side path. The Atteran quickly crossed the terrace to join her companions.

Thus, finally, all had caught up to Rory and Cesare.

Cesare had entered the small, strange anteroom. At this point he could only see just a little bit more into the subterranean passage. The passageway continued almost twice as far ahead before darkness swallowed what was further beyond. Just before the dark shadows there looked to be two openings, to the right and to the left. By what he could discern, the left hand side was not as much a wall but perhaps in actuality a very large column.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 12/10/15 12:21 UTC
Cesare

As he hears his companions he straightens and turns.

"Any of you have light with you?"

Then he follows up with.

"You have heard the girl is missing?"

He assumes they have but they might just be following him.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 12/10/15 12:57 UTC
Mikal

"No", he shakes his head at the question about the torches, then turns to Rory. "Can you bring us some lanterns or torches? And tell our companions where we are and what we are doing?"

He settles his weapons and armour, glancing at the others. "Do you have everything you need before we go in there?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 12/10/15 16:56 UTC
Cesare

"Crosbow and bolts from my room.."

He says almost wistfully.

"But I have my daggers. Do we know how long before the next tide? The rocks outside are damp."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 12/10/15 18:22 UTC
[[ You have untill lunch before the tides come in ]]
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 12/10/15 21:09 UTC
"I have my knives and my wits, as I go nowhere without them."
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 15/10/15 15:24 UTC
Bekkah

She lifted her skirts and caught up with the others.

"I sent the girl back to let Daxia know where we went. I'm no expert, but I suspect we have a few hours to look around and get back out."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 18/10/15 18:53 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

“Torches?”

Rory looked back to Mikal, a brow raising. He shook his head back and forth, while taking three steps back.

“That be nae the manner of thing we keep under tha bed in case of things goin’ wrong.”

The innkeeper returned a smile, however, as he turned and started to run, almost slipping off the terrace when he rounded Kadri and Bekkah.

“But we do have a tinker and he’ll have somethin’ better…”

And up the cliff side stairs he vanished.

This left the quartet alone, there, beneath the level of the docks, a second village – or perhaps a town – perhaps a city – waiting for them in those darkened halls beyond the short length of corridor the dull morning light illuminated. Looking west, the bay seemed almost calm. The fishing fleet was well beyond sight and the nearby water moving sluggishly. Here and there, looking into the dull blue-green depths a sparkle could be seen, something bright reflecting in the depths.

It was, however, a sad kind of sparkle.

The wind swept away from the pier and the town, tugging at tunic skirts more often than not. That and the dampness in the air made for a cold summer morning.

As they waited, all it would take was a couple steps, for Cesare to look further down the stone hall. To the right all was in darkness, beyond Her reach. To the left, however, past a long length of sable shadows there was a flicker of dull grey, faces of stone barely catching a hint of light as well as a little bit upon the floor.

On the bright side, perhaps it meant that there was some source of illumination further down the subterranean halls.

On the night so bright side it certainly begged a disturbing question – who or what might need that light?

It was faint, which also meant that the request for torches was a necessary thing.

Soon enough, down the cliff side stairs Rory returned.

In one hand the innkeeper had a small grey sack, not very big, perhaps just big enough to hold two cupped hands of coin. In his other hand, fingers looped through two tin hoops, he carried a pair of box lamps. The tops were simple pyramids, topped by the previously mentioned carry loops. All four sides of one were pricked with holes, in a horizontal zig-zag pattern. The second had three pierced sides; the fourth was a plate of glass in a tinny frame.

Rory stopped when he returned to the outer metal door.

He clumsily opened the sack – inside were stubby fat candles, crafted to fit the lamps.

“The tinker sells to both us an’ tha bloody fisher folk.

“So his shop was nae far away.”

He offered up the lamps.

“I kin carry one, ja? Who gets the other?

“Midday and tha tide commin’ back will be here sooner than we think.

“So how do we go find me Dydd?”

<< this is an original post and has not been further edited >>
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 18/10/15 20:08 UTC
Mikal

"Thanks, Rory." He turns to the others nearby, then nods at Bekkah. "Most likely for Bekkah to carry the other. The rest of us need hands free if it comes to a fight."

He starts to move inside once the lamps are lit. "Let me take the lead with Kadri and Cesare close behind." He hands his crossbow to Cesare once they catch up with him. "Bekkah and Rory bring up the rear."

He waits to see if anyone has other thoughts, then moves ahead.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 18/10/15 23:28 UTC
Kadri:

"... makes sense."

She looks at Rory

"We will bring her back."

she says matter-of-factly, as if its not even a question.

She then murmurs under her breath.

"Lady oh lady mine, we go into the deep, the shadows divine. Into the dark and into the deep, in hopes of a girls life now to keep."

She looks up and says aloud.

"Ready as I'll ever be, Mikal."

She moves into place and follows.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 19/10/15 12:37 UTC
Cesare

He takes the crossbow from Mikal with a nod. He had learned that a distance weapon is very useful and he has his daggers as back up in melee.

Before going any further in, he takes a look at the sun, fixes the direction that the hallway goes and mentally places an image in his mind. Rhoni are good at finding their way around and he is confident he will be able to find his way back if needed.

Then he steps up beside Kadri with a brief smile and prepare to move further in. He will be looking ahead mostly, watching for any signs of recent passage especially by Dydd. Also of any movement or anything out of the ordinary.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 20/10/15 11:11 UTC
Bekkah

"Yes, I'll carry one." she said taking one of the lanterns from Rory.

"Lead on. I hate to think of that young girl down here."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 20/10/15 12:32 UTC
Cesare

"At some point, and definitely before the tide comes in, we need to close that outer door."

Just wants to add that thought before it gets overlooked.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 25/10/15 20:37 UTC

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

“Aye …”

It was Rory who took Cesare’s wise advice, walking back and shouldering that heavy metal door back into place. It was not the closing, but when he dragged the long lever down –accented by the sound of hidden bolts being thrown, hidden in the heavy stone frame – that had the dull solid air of finality.

They were now somewhere else – a place beneath the Village with that closed door between them and the rest of the world. Without any hint of the sun above the carven halls were timeless. It could now be any time, any day, any season, any age.

It was odd, however. With the door closed the air should have been still. Yet it whispered and swirled – but only for a moment, only a long set of heartbeats, making the skirt’s of Kadri’s tunic flare and dash this way and that.

Perhaps it was nothing. But then between two lamps and tall stone columns the one thing that could be said was they were casting these subterranean halls full with shadows.

The columns, as the small troop passed between them, were tide worn but still elegantly crafted. Their simple bases were almost as tall as Kadri and capped by a rune carved ring. The runes were faded, but like those at the Amber Inn they seemed to be just decoration; water, earth, horse, time, beast, mastery – all were represented.

The column shafts were straight and true. In the lamplight they shone a gentle sepia; they were not white marble but the same honey colored stones used in the mainland keeps. The column capitals could not be seen, they were higher than their light could reach.

Cesare had mentally marked the location of the sun; it meant that they first walked north along the columns until they discovered that the faint glimmering they had previously seen was indeed caused by a lamp. Very similar to the ones Rory had acquired, it was hung from the side of a column. A thick rope – the kind the dockworkers would call a sheet – was wrapped several times around the column at head height and bound by a clove hitch. In turn the little lamp was hung by a leather strap lashed to the rope.

Here the colonnaded passage turned right; Cesare would note that this was east and would directly lead underneath the village proper. In the distance they could see another soft grey glow; most probably a second lamp bound to the stone.

But between here and there a set of steps headed downwards. That brought Mikal to a stop; not just because the steps lead down into water – which logic would say could not be too deep as the fisher folk had to have come this way too –but because the Jvrllian had seen that the water wasn’t still. A set of ripples, like a stone thrown into a still pond, washed up against the steps.

The surface of the water was like a mirror, reflecting the corridor’s darkness and the dull lamp light; exactly what was beneath could not be seen.

That said, Mikal was sure that he had also heard something moving. Not like a fish breaking the surface, but like something, something large, wading through the water.

Ahead.

But hidden in the dark.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 26/10/15 13:28 UTC
[OOC: re the steps the only way to go or could one continue on the path; not sure whether the steps stretch all the way across the passage? smile ]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 26/10/15 13:33 UTC
[OOC OK seen the map now, ignore question above grin ]

Cesare

He whispers, the dark giving him a feeling of foreboding.

"Assume these steps go down and then come up ahead judging by the light we see further on? Wonder if there is a way around it, maybe a hidden door in the first corridor?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 26/10/15 14:58 UTC
Mikal

"Let's take a look to the right", he replies softly. "There is something large in that water and I'd prefer to avoid it if possible."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 26/10/15 15:48 UTC
Kadri:

"Avoiding large things in the water, good idea. Although we may have to go back that way."

She murmurs under her breath.

"Light my way that I may see, light my way, it's only me. For a little girl to find - I am quite sure you would not mind ..."

(Darklight)

Then she proceeds to look carefully at the floor and walls for any signs that someone has been through here ...
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 29/10/15 00:13 UTC

... Under the Docks

As Kadri whispered her prayer she reached up and unlashed the lamp bound to the column. When she was finished the candle within went out.

Rory and Bekkah still had their pierced tin lamps so the amount of light where they stood was unchanged.

After a moment - perhaps a handful of heartbeats, not long at all - Mikal's observation was made clear to the rest. Ahead, in the darkness, there was a sudden splash followed by the sound of water being moved by something large.

The sound echoed for a bit and then it was silent once again.

[[OOC Note - Kadri's spell results in PM]]
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 29/10/15 00:56 UTC
KAdri:"

Well, people, I know whats back there."

She said conversationally.

"I think, perhaps, fulhand perhaps a little farther back. LArge, lizardy thing, none too bright however - biting its own tail."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 29/10/15 13:02 UTC
Cesare

He says nothing but a shudder passes through his body. He has developed a real aversion to large lizardy things.

He moves ready to start searching for a way to bypass that water with even more determination.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 01/11/15 15:11 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

“We are going back?”

Rory protested, but he did follow, simply not understanding the reversal of direction. He looked wistfully over his shoulder, once, before lifting his lamp to follow the others as they headed back in the general direction of the metal doors.

Rory was a farmer, and probably didn’t realize the importance of knowing what was at one’s back.

Slowly, Mikal, Cesare and Kadri inspected the walls to what was now their left; Kadri still carrying her unlit - at least to everyone else – lamp. The walls on that side of the corridor were smooth but still showed signs of their original crafting. They had the same base that the columns had - with the carven band - while above the smooth surface was divided into large tiled panels. The tiles were small squares, their colors faded and worn by the tides, but their original imagery could be faintly distinguished.

They appeared to be sea-faring mosaics; sailing ships on the open sea, boats tied up at port, ships being built, pragmatic scenes of day-to-day living at a port city. Interestingly many of the ship had more than one mast.

The village fishing fleet were smaller, single masted boats.

As for secret doors or passageways, none could be found. The portals they did pass, for if this was an Ancient street to walk a length this long without a doorway would have indeed been odd, were impassable; they either looked into spaces that were completely collapsed or the openings themselves were blocked by stone, coral and fallen block.

Passing the metal doors the main corridor-street continued on, along what was the western face of the docks above. The wide subterranean expanse ended in rubble, blocking any further passage south. To their left, however, heading east and once again under the village a second corridor was found.

Running parallel to the one they just left, it was about the same width and similarly constructed. A set of columns ran down its center while the side walls were ranked with matching pilasters. And, ejust like the other corridor, a set of steps lead down into a sheen of black water.

What were missing were the lamps. The rope lashings and tin pin-hole pierced lamps were not to be seen; the columns were bare and the only illumination came from the lights Rory and Bekkah were carrying.

However, here, everyone could hear the occasional splash of something wading in the darkness. It was not only beyond the illumination of the lamps carried by Bekkah and Rory but beyond Kadri’s more shadowy divine light.

Indeed, any thought that the sounds were some trick of carven stone and naturally lapping water were sent to rest by a sudden loud splash.

Which was followed by several smaller splashes.

They occurred just beyond Kadri’s darklight and were localized; that is they appeared to have happened at one general location and the smaller splashes did not move appreciably closer or farther away.

Now there was a choice.

Return to the lamp marked corridor or continue here.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 01/11/15 17:04 UTC
Mikal

He understands Rory's frustration, but he doesn't have time to explain everything to the man as they go.

Once they find the only other way forward is another water filled passage, but unlit, he gestures everyone back a few paces to talk quietly.

First to Rory. "Rory, I understand your frustration and desire to find Dydd quickly. We wish that too. But you must let us look for her safely. It will do her no good for us to rush ahead blindly and be injured or killed ourselves in the search. We have no time to discuss every move we make, so I do not mean to be harsh but unless you see danger or you know something about this place we don't you will just have to trust us."

He then looks at Kadri, Cesare, and Bekkah. "Both passages seem the same. Water filled, with some sort of creature or creatures in them. I can't imagine that so many people come here that the fishermen need to construct elaborate decoys, so my suggestion is to follow the lit passage."

He pauses, then looks at Kadri. "You said a fairly mindless large lizard? Does anyone have any food with them? Left over breakfast sausage perhaps? If the fishermen come this way they need to pass this thing, and perhaps it is as simple as feeding it?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 02/11/15 13:03 UTC
Cesare

"Nothing but your reasoning is sound."

When they get back to the lit area Cesare studies the way ahead.

"Perhaps we could test the depth? Maybe even attract the creature into range. Better to fight it on our choice of ground if it comes to that."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 06/11/15 01:29 UTC
KaDRI:

I'm not completely sure its hostile" she said hesitantly.

"Of course, we have to go forward as if it is, but it seems awfully ..."

She struggles for words.

"Inoffensive for an offensive creature."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 06/11/15 15:26 UTC
Mikal

He nods. "Yes. I got that impression from you. That was why I was thinking if we simply toss some food off to one side it might just go there and eat it and let us by unmolested."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sat 07/11/15 13:08 UTC
Cesare

"If we can avoid fighting giant lizards then I am all for it, had enough of the last lot we took on."

He is still concerned for the girl though.. and her anxious father.

"Let's give it a try. Others have obviously passed this way."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 08/11/15 15:45 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

“We are going back?”

Rory raised the question again, as the intrepid explorers once again turned around and headed back along that first underground street, returning north to the lighted corridor. This time it was spoken in a much more droll manner, as if he really didn’t expect an answer.

They had found some jerky, a rather floppy fish and an annoyed crab to serve as lizard temptation. While they lacked a wooden pole to test the water’s depth they could proceed carefully.

With Mikal still in the lead they proceeded down the worn stone stairs. In a bit of good luck it was quickly discovered that the water was not deep at all; it only covered the last two steps. Most wore tall boots of one manner or another – pragmatic boots from Highgaard, those meant for riding or soldiering – which meant the water didn’t even come to the tops.

Rory was the only one wearing something more sandal-like.

The lack of proper illumination, however, did make the surface seem impenetrable. The surface was like a black mirror or reflected their light back with a scattered glare. It also presented a second conundrum; moving through it was noisy enough that they would have no fear of being snuck up upon but in return they would be heard by anyone they tried to approach.

Such as the lizard.

Two things occurred at once.

First, Mikal’s foot felt the floor suddenly end. Sudden and sheer and completely hidden by the black water, he had come across a pit. How deep it was he didn’t know and it was only Cesare’s quick reflexes, catching him by the arm, which hauled him back from the edge.

And they were not alone.

It had been looking at its own tail suspiciously before it growled a bit, surprised, at the sudden nearby lamplight. One green scaly arm rose, to cover its scaly face, until its eyes became used to the light – fairly quickly – and it looked to the interlopers.

Now this thing was large, half again as tall as Mikal and substantially massive, almost to the level of plumpishness. It was covered in an odd patchwork of armor. A piece of plate here, a bit of leather there, all definitely ramshackle and jury rigged. It did seem to favor spikes, like those on its tail, which ended in a metal mace-like thing.

It also had a spear and once it regained its bearings it leapt forward and …

… and immediately scrambled back and came to a halt. It stopped about five feet from Mikal and brandished its spear, a loud growlf echoing up and down the hall. Where it stopped it was only standing in wading depth water and if that represented the other side of the pit it was something most folks could leap across.

Rory tossed the crab at it.

Surprisingly adroit, the lizard-thing caught it, looked at it, held it at arms length and then lifted it. It dropped the crab into his mouth and happily crunched it.

The lizard was a very sloppy eater.

It then turned, drew itself up, waved its spear in a distinctly threatening manner, holding out its freehand, open and waiting.

It growlfed once, sounding fierce and with authority. One did not need to understand lizard speak to infer its meaning.

Translating from lizard-ish, it had probably said something like, “More!”

This could be a problem.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 09/11/15 13:10 UTC
Cesare

Well this is not just happenstance. This creature has been armed and armoured presumably to play the role of guard here. Now whether they can 'buy' their way past it remains to be seen.

"Give it the rest" he says to Rory.

He only hopes it will be enough. Presumably it has also been fed by whomever came before.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 09/11/15 13:17 UTC
Mikal

He nods at Cesare's suggestion and slowly draws his darksteel weapons. While he doesn't make any immediate threat to the lizard, he makes it clear that it has a choice.

"Toss the food off to one side, there", he points with his sword. "Lets see if it will let us pass peacefully. If not, get your crossbow ready", he adds to Cesare.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 09/11/15 15:24 UTC
Kadri loosened the bonds on her daggers, not drawing yet but being ready.

"Yes, please do."

She looks back to the lizard.

"Can you understand me?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 10/11/15 12:09 UTC
Cesare

He is carrying Mikal's crossbow already but in preparation he draws a bolt quietly but holds in ready. He too is making no overt threats. If they can pass peacefully, all the better.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 13/11/15 13:04 UTC
Bekkah

She followed along silently, holding the lantern to shine around the darkened area. Once they'd found the lizard thing she shrank back a bit, before regaining herself to hold the lantern to illuminate it as well as possible.

She didn't like the idea of shooting it and she suspected it would take a lot to actually kill it, but on the other hand, she could only imagine the little girl's fear if she was down here. She wanted to see her safe.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 15/11/15 15:02 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Despite slyness, shortness, bravado and general friendliness, Kadri’s question went unanswered save for a shake of he spear and a second sounding of that guttural, hungry growlf, this time even louder. Obviously casual conversation was beyond the lizard-thing’s simple comprehension.

When Bekkah and Rory tossed the rest of the food to the side – despite a valorous but in vain attempt of the floppy fish to escape via fin across Bekkah’s cheek – the lizard-thing did, quite aggressively, turn and jump. It pawed at the water to subdue the jerky, expertly slammed said rebellious fish with its tail mace and generally made a ruckus as it went after its unexpected feast.

Tracking down the last tidbits gave some members of the small group a chance to leap the concealed pit. This was especially important to Mikal, getting him on the same side as the lizard thing, if things took an unfortunate turn.

Which, of course, they did.

It did not take long for the lizard to finish his meal and start looking for more; it took exactly the same amount of time for Kadri and Mikal to make the crossing, leaving Bekkah, Rory and Cesare on the starting side. It brandished it’s spear, it growlfed, and its expression became certainly unruly, as if it knew exactly whose fault it was there was no more food.

It leapt.

Or at least it tried to.

At the first sign of overt aggression Cesare fired. And he struck home. Not that it could have been considered hard; the beast was large, it didn’t run very fast and the Rhoni had diligently prepared. The bolt slammed right into the beast’s side, through scales and into muscles, and stopped, half in and half with a spray of black blood. That certainly stopped it’s leap. The creature looked down, eyes wide at the quarrel and took a step towards Cesare with a roar.

Which, of course, left its flank open to Mikal.

Darksteel slashed through is jury rigged armor and deep into lizard blubber, a cut that would have disemboweled anything less …plump. Of course the lizard turned to its newest foe, shaking his spear at Mikal, its long snout reaching forward in an attempt to bite. The Jvrillian could feel the air move as the jaws snapped back down, with the fel realization that the lizard could probably swallow his head whole if given a chance.

Which was about the time that Cesare’s second crossbow bolt hit. A sound strike in the creatures back. It turned to face this renewed attack, jumping up and down once in frustration.

And that was the jist of it; the slash of Mikal’s blades versus the ranged attack from Cesare’s crossbow kept the lizard off balance. The downside was that Bekkah’s premonition was correct; the lizard appeared to be able to withstand a tremendous amount of hurt – if it was indeed smart enough to feel pain. It was also not good when, through misfortune or sheer brute force it managed to strike Mikal. The Jvrillian was literally tossed back like a leaf on the wind when – while turning to face Cesare – the lizard’s mace tail accidentally struck him across the side, most definitely breaking a few ribs in the process. Parrying a spear thrust was also a challenge – not that Mikal’s blades weren’t sturdy but the force of the blow was unexpectedly strong.

Until finally, like a giant tree in the forest, the lizard thing fell forward into the water, a large splash the last of its insults.

For a while all was silent. The lizard thing could be searched – all that would be found would be its large spear, bits of armor and a pouch with a few broken shells and odd stones carried within.

Then, two things happened. Further down the hall, more splashings could be heard. They were still quite a distance a way. There were also faint lizard growlings; and this time in different tones, as if some manner of conversation – no argument – was being held somewhere deeper in the subterranean town.

The second was more disturbing.

Slowly the lizard thing pushed himself up. Its eyes were empty, dark, and cold. It didn’t bleed, not from its many wounds. It more like oozed, like a corpse would, bleeding out its last. It lurched – and that was the best word – lurched towards Mikal.

It took two heartbeats to realize what was going on.

It was too dumb to realize it was dead.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 15/11/15 17:12 UTC
Cesare

He is convinced foul magics are at play here and falls back on Rhoni superstitions for an answer, at the same time firing again in desperation. He really doesn't like big lizards.

"Behead it!"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 15/11/15 17:35 UTC
Mikal

He grunts as he flies thru the air, landing, thankfully, into the water. Rising quickly, he grimaces as bones on his side grate against each other. Ha glances across where he knows the pit beneath the water is and sees Bekkah and Cesare still on the other side. **Healing will need to wait**, he thinks as he knows he needs to re-engage the lizard.

So, favoring his injured side he wades (literally wink ) back in and continues stabbing the lizard thing until it falls into the water face first.

Taking a moment to catch his breath, though shallowly, he focuses and casts a Healing spell upon his injured side, offering thanks to Jvrill for surviving the battle. He takes an experimental deeper breath, relieved to be able to do so, and then hears the voices from far off.

"Come across, quickly!" He calls to those on the other side. His thought being that if they can get past this flooded area perhaps they can escape any pursuit and continue looking for the girl.

As he watches the others cross, he sees the dead lizard thing rise and he takes a step back, though keeping between it and Kadri. At Cesare's call, he nods and sheathes his short sword and main gauche. Those weapons are meant for stabbing and would be less useful for what Cesare is suggesting.

He slides his shield around from his back onto his left arm and draws his far less frequently used broadsword, thankful for all the practice sessions he spent with Daxia on the road using it. Stepping forward, shield ready to block, he looks for an opening to slash at the things neck.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 16/11/15 23:55 UTC
Kadri moves to draw her daggers, and in this case, moves in behind Mikal ready to move in if needed.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 22/11/15 14:48 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

There is a saying amongst wood and leatherworkers and crafters of all manner and sorts.

The right tool for the right job.

Changing from two sword to sword and shield was something practiced; something Daxia had taught well – it was also Dandelion Koromov’s favored style. It was the perfect foil for a lizard that refused to die. The larger shield made it easier to block the lurching thing’s awkward attacks and the broadsword cut huge butcher-like swaths through the too stupid creature’s flesh.

Knowing about the pit, it was easy for the others to join Mikal and Kadri on the other side. It was just a tug up of tunic skirts and a leap. Rory, Cesare and Bekkah successfully made the leap …

… just in time to see Mikal and Kadri re-engage the lizard-thing.

Sword and shield, however, make it hard for Cesare to shoot into the fray; there was too much of a chance of hitting Mikal.

This, however, was not a problem for Kadri, especially in these shadow shrouded halls. She could dart in and out, from one to another to harass the foul creature. She didn’t even need to do much damage; just enough to grab the stupid monster’s attention and make him pay attention to her and not the Jvrillian.

Cesare’s recommendation, however, proved vital.

The beast did not stop attacking until one arm was held on by but sinews, flopping around like a puppet on a string. It did not stop trying to overpower Mikal until its knee was shattered by a strong hit and its at leg went one direction and the body another.

Then it just twitched in the shallow water, flailing almost by reflex, without any rhyme or reason. Each twitch was smaller, slower, as if eventually it would lay still and final. But who knew how long that would take.

It was quicker and easier to just remove its head.

Their next challenge awaited.

Because the additional splashing and growling they heard, were not pursuing them.

They were ahead, in the direction they needed to go.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 23/11/15 13:27 UTC
Cesare

He is not happy to hear more noise ahead.

"How many of these damned things are there?"

It is a grumbled but rhetorical question as his ears are at least as sharp as everyone else's.

"Mikal. maybe you should take point, Kadri and I flank you with Rory and Bekkah taking a more defensive rear postition?"

He is not really suggesting this for Mikal's ears, he knows that Mikal is a better tactician than he will ever be but Rory is new to this.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 24/11/15 14:40 UTC
Bekkah

She made the jump and watched the second round of the fight with the creature. Some would look for defensive weaknesses, Bekkah's eyes were solely on her friends to see if any of them were hurt. A creature like this especially worried her because she had no idea if it carried poison.

When it was over the second time and they heard more noise, she looked at the group.

"Are any of you in need of healing? Even a scratch could prove to be a problem if untended." she said, clearly all business, nothing like her normal cheerful manner. She knew of course all too well the stubbornness of fighters to want healing. Especially men.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 24/11/15 23:52 UTC
Mikal

He grunts in satisfaction once the beast is truly down. Glancing at Bekkah he nods. "I've got a broken rib or two from that mace. Many thanks."

Once the healing if done he turns and nods agreement to Cesare, pointing ahead. "Keep your crossbow ready. Let's see if we can catch them."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 25/11/15 01:06 UTC
KAdri:

"... I can see some distance, perhaps, farther than you. I can also hear well - if others are not being too loud. And shoudl you want some scouting, I can disappear with the best. The only question is ..."

She taps her nose.

"If those things smell us coming."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 25/11/15 01:36 UTC
Mikal

He glances into the water and points. "Seems to me we have a pretty good camouflage for smell right there." Reaching down, he pulls up the dead lizard's tail and hacks it off with his sword. He then smears the blood from the tail across his body and hands the tail to Kadri with a small grin. "Next?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 25/11/15 12:27 UTC
Cesare

He nods, looking ahead into the torchlit area hoping for a target.

"Any chance we could avoid them? Hiding under the water maybe? Could be too many for us."

He is standing his ground but clearly concerned.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 25/11/15 12:39 UTC
Bekkah

She'd suspected Mikal had been hurt. Normally, she'd do a much more thorough inspection, but they didn't have the time.

"When we get back, I'm going to look at this more carefully." she said as she got a hand to his ribs. With a prayer to her Lady, she let Her power flow through her hands to Mikal's ribs. He'd feel the warmth course through him until she removed her hands.

"Try to dodge next time." she added offering him a beautiful smile.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 25/11/15 17:25 UTC
Mikal

As the warmth of the healing flows into his side he gasps, then says, "Many thanks."

He pauses, considering all of the splashing both ahead of them and to the side and the noise they will make trying to catch up, then turns to Rory.

"I would ask you a favor, Rory. Would you stay here", he points, "cross back to the other side of the pit, and make as much noise as you possibly can? Splash, shout, scream, yell, whatever it takes. Hopefully it will be enough to cover us as we try not to make noise and will attract the lizards here rather than to us as we move deeper."

He looks at the man. "You will run back to the door and leave once you sight any lizards, right?"
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 27/11/15 01:59 UTC
KAdri:

She looks to Mikal

"I can teach you how to dodge you know."

She grins cheekily.

"Its one thing that I'm good at. Dodging big galoots."

She winks.

"Ready when you are."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 29/11/15 16:36 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Rory tilted his head, a bit confused, until he nodded, once, sure and understanding.

“Like rousting quail at the end of harvest season …”

The farmer simply had to see it in his own terms. Taking his lamp with him he carefully made his way back to the pit, finding its edge with his toe before leaping across. He landed with a loud splash and a slip, ending up on his knees but somehow keeping the lamp above the water. He stood and started stamping the shallow water, definitely splashing and calling out.

“Hey ugly lizards … Lizard! Lizard thing!”

It was very noisy, it roughly echoed up and down the stone halls, and it was certainly louder than if one moved slowly through the water – especially if one sloshed instead of stepped.

“Lizard … lizard … thing …”

The problem was thinking of something to say over and over again …

“Some friends and I in a public house
“Was playing a game of chance one night
“When into the pub a fireman ran …”

The word were sung out - it was a common tavern song - it was more than a little offkey and sometimes off rhythm. Rory was no Zach Kirillsoon and it was obvious he was only tolerated to carry a tune because he provided the evenings drink. But it was certainly attention grabbing.

“His face all a chalky white.
"’What's up’, says Brown, ‘Have you seen a ghost,
“’Or have you seen your Aunt Mariah?’
"’Me Aunt Mariah be buggered!’, says he,
"’The bleedin' pub's on fire!’”

And while this semi-musical cacophony occurred behind them, the remainder were able to move forward into the colonnaded hall. This was definitely some manner of ancient street or promenade; it was long and repetitive.

On the bright side all it took was a gentle Atteran touch and any hint of pain vanished. Mikal’s ribs were stitched by sparklings of white and diamond, returning him fresh to face the next lizard.

The use of Rory as a distraction – or rather an attraction – was a sound tactic.

A lizard-thing which lurched into view when they reached the next lamp. But it was alone- it was not a charge of lizard-things and nor did they stumble into a gang of them. It almost seemed that while they were coming down the hall too them, it was not in the most organized of fashion.

The lamp was the same; a tin pierced box tied to a length of rope that had been lashed to one of the columns.

The lizard-thing was the same too; big and green and wearing armor makeshift. It even carried a spear – or something spear like – his was a wooden pole with a very large and nasty looking knife lashed to its end. It actually stopped, as if it were surprised to see other creatures in the corridor.

This gave Cesare an opening, and it looked even more shocked when a crossbow bolt buried itself into is leg.

But that did not improve its disposition.

It roared, it limped, it lurched forward, in search of a Rhoni to impale. Which took him past Mikal, allowing the Jvrillian to slash open its side with a sure sweep of his sword. Turning it opened himself to Kadri’s daggers.

And then it became the chaos of melee.

Its attacks could not be called coordinated, but they were backed by a more than human strength. It struck at whoever hit it last. And sometimes twice – he had a second knife lashed to his tail, and between that and sheer strength he once knocked Mikal a few paces back. The shield took most of the blow – but his arm still stung and the shield would definitely need repair once they returned to the surface.

It was Kadri, however, that took the worst of its blows; ne managing to connect, the rusty blade slashing a ragged gash up her left leg. She could still stand, but a second lizard-thing success might change that.

“And there was Brown upside down
“Lappin’ up the whiskey on the floor.
“’Booze, booze!’ The firemen cried
“As they came knockin' on the door ..."

The creature was finally wobbling, bleeding from a handful of deep wounds, its black blood staining the water. Its blows were slowing, and its roars were even weaker but it certainly wasn’t smart enough to retreat,

And that was when Cesare saw the second Lizard thing step into the light.

“And we all got blue-blind paralytic drunk
“When the Old Dun Cow caught fire …”
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 30/11/15 12:26 UTC
Cesare

"Behead it Mikal, another coming!"

He is already firing at the second, concerned about Rory back there on his own, bravely singing away. If any get past them...
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sat 05/12/15 00:35 UTC
Mikal

Seeing Kadri slashed by the tail, and being knocked back himself is enough. This is the second lizard they've fought and the pattern is the same. Every time it is hit, it turns towards whoever hit it. So, stepping between Kadri and the Lizard he pauses for the next bolt from Cesare and as soon as the Lizard's head turns towards Cesare, he steps in and slashes as strongly as he can at it's neck.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sat 05/12/15 02:40 UTC
Kadri:

She hisses as her leg is slashed, and lets out a muffle curse, then backs up a few steps to see if the wound is something she can tend to.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 06/12/15 17:16 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

A melee is the definition of confusion; a melee in the shadows, beneath the bustle of a village, hidden in corridors barely lit, even more so. Cesare’s crossbow did snap and fire, the bolt, however, crossed the shallow black water towards their new foe, a lizard-creature bearing a ragged wooden shield and a thick rusty sword.

But that didn’t mean that Mikal’s tactics failed – indeed, Kadri’s retreat brought forth a charge by her assailant. Two steps back she could easily take, summoning her own power, ribbons of blackness springing from her hand to wrap her leg, like shadow bandages wrapping tight to stop the bleeding and bank her pain.

Which meant the lizard thing crossed right in front and into the Jvrillian’s arcing blade.

It was like a horseman at full gallop crashing into a low hanging branch. The sword bit into the creature’s throat, dashing through flesh and blubber. The body became a juggernaut rushing forward, the beast’s head also snapping in the same direction when Mikal’s blade continued through thick and heavy vertebrae.

Kadri had said she was good at dodging. It took all her skill to not be run down by the out of control body – which still flailed as if its head were attached – and even more to not be clobbered by a lizard’s things head. But she was not quick enough to get out of the way of the sudden, wide and torrential fountain of black blood that erupted from the shorn neck – first moving towards her and then falling past. The head splashed through the water to the right, to float all rag doll like. The body didn’t stop until it hit the right hand wall and then slid down to a grotesque halt.

Mikal’s tactics were more than sound.

Because it meant that the second lizard thing rushed Cesare, not caring that both Mikal and Kadri were between him and the Rhoni.

Kadri lost her sharp pointy dagger; not because she was soaked in icky lizard blood, but because when she turned to strike she succeeded, all to well, becoming now acquainted with Mikal’s previous annoyance. Her blade slammed deep and true into this new foe, all the way to the crossguard.

And then she couldn’t pull it out!

It did, however, mean he turned his back to Mikal as he charged the diminutive Amberite.

Completely open, it was like practice at a pell. Mikal hit him solidly as he passed by. The creature couldn’t turn around fast enough to even think of parrying Mikal’s follow-thru attack. The first strike had slashed open his back like a fish being gutted , drawing from low to high, drawn back as his sword drew along the creature’s ribs. His second hit, that one arced higher. While it was simply a well practiced blow, the fact that it struck the creature’s head ended it; like a child’s top it spun and spun and twirled until it finally fell on its back and twitched.

And twitched.

And twitched.

For a long moment it was quiet, there in the carven halls.

That there was noise from the darkness; that was a not a surprise. More were coming down the hall, drawn by the roars and sounds of combat, drawn by Rory’s off key song.

They had slain one.

They had fought two.

Kadri’s shadow sight saw them before they stepped into the soft illumination of the lamps.

How would they deal with three?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 07/12/15 13:32 UTC
Cesare

He is getting into the swing of this, his job to draw their attention and lead them past Mikal and Kadri. But he is not relaxing. He knows there are more, he can hear the noises ahead.

Well he still has a rick up his sleeve to avoid the first attack that lands on him. The Rhoni word that will take him elsewhere ready for such an emergency. And he can run, and he can dodge.. hopefull that will be enough to support his role and his friends.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 07/12/15 19:43 UTC
Mikal

As the last one twitches and dies, ha can hear more coming and he grimaces. They cannot deal with an endless number of these things. Eventually either the lizards need to stop coming or they're going to have to retreat.

And this sounds like more splashes than the last pair, so at least two, probably three or four.

Quickly pulling a rope out of his pack he tosses one end to Kadri.

"Tie this tight to the pillar near you, under the water, at ankle height." He says, doing the same to a pillar near him. "Then hide behind the pillar. I will hide behind this one."

He looks at Cesare. "Stand between the pillars and let them see you. Fire at the front ones. Try to get them to bunch up and charge you all at once. Be ready with your dagger. Hopefully they're too stupid to see the trap and will charge straight ahead. When they trip over the rope Kadri and I will hit them from behind while you try to cut the throat of the lead one."

It's not a perfect plan, but then no plan is perfect, and it's the best he can come up with on short notice.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 07/12/15 20:57 UTC
Kadri:

"I can cause a distraction when they come into range. At least one will be perhaps otherwise occupied. I see three coming."

She moves into position. After setting up the rope she waits - and when they come into range, as close as they can get before she thinks she no longer can, she whispers in a mocking sing-song.

"Oh foul and loathesome lizard-thing
Puppet on a string.
Dancing in that special place -
where darkness meets the light -
Dark and light make shadow, and shadow leads to fright."

(Darkblade)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 08/12/15 11:36 UTC
Cesare

He nods, knowing he can use his crossbow initially. His daggers will always be in hand when he needs them [Quickdraw]. He intends to fire as many bolts as he can whilst they are on their way towards him, all at the same target, the one in the middle.

He will always have Elsewhere to fall back on if things get nasty.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/12/15 17:37 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

The plan required a tactical retreat; no much of one, one column to the west, the one with the lamp, to lash the rope around. Ankle height for a lizard thing was quite a bit higher than for regular folks, just a little above the surface of the water.

The lizard things were not just fat, but they were big.

The rope was lashed; the sounds of activity eliciting a growling from down the hall and the sound of wood hitting wood – perhaps spear to shield? Kadri and Mikal took their places, behind the adjacent columns.

That hypothesis was proven correct when the lead lizard finally stepped into the light. This one indeed was armed with shield and spear, which he raised in challenge when he saw Cesare standing alone before him.

Well not quite alone; Bekkah, of course, was a few steps behind him, standing quiet in the shallow water. The real question, of course, was whether or not the big creatures were smart enough to realize there was a prohibition against hurting an Atterran.

The first charged … making huge waves and splashes in the water. The noise echoed, and indeed in became a cacophonous din between the echoes and the matching growlfs from his two companions. It didn’t help when the first called out in shock, a deep guttural roar of surprise, as two of Cesare’s bolts slammed home – one sticking through an oddly shaped plate of metal on the beast’s belly, the other driven into the blubber of its right leg.

The wounds only increased the lead lizard’s desire to stomp the Rhoni into the water covered curb. It’s pace increased, and so did that of his two companions. They moved true to Mikal’s predictions, coming in closer, down the central path between the column rows, close on the mace bedecked tail of the one in front.

And then they hit the rope. Or at least the first one did. It went sprawling forward, the splash when he fell face first in the water literally emptying the underground street about him, baring the waterlogged floor tiles and raising a black wave as high as Cesare, blinding him for a heartbeat as he was suddenly drenched.

The water quickly flowedback.

It also provided Bekkah with a scary conclusion. They probably were probably dumb enough to take a swipe at a Healer.

The other two followed suit. It wasn’t the rope that stopped them, but like children playing leap frog they fell over the first lizard. One, the closest to Kadri, it carried something that looked like a mallet, which would have been less of a threat if it wasn’t bigger than the small Amberite. The second, he was armed with a long rusty-sword thing; more like a plate of metal that had been ground with a jagged notched edge and lashed to a tree limb sized wooden hilt.

Ugly but practical.

Kadri stepped in … as far as Mikal could tell she stepped in completely unarmed, waving her hands in fancy swooping arcs. However, her target, back to her, roared in pain as a lashing wound Justas mysteriously opened in its back.

Mikal’s blade, too, got in its un-expected blow, a solid hit that opened up his lizard’s side. Blindly it’s makeshift greatsword lashed back, and while he wasn’t fast enough to parry the blade was long enough to skitter across the top of the water and take a bite out of Mikal’s boot – deep enough to draw blood but not deep enough to sop the Jvrillian.

And this is where the tactics fell apart; or at least did not go as smoothly as one might have hoped.

The problem being that each, each lizard now only had one person to focus on. There would be no more confused back and forth, like a ruff chasing a ball tossed between two children.

The first – by the time Cesare had cleared his eyes – had pushed itself up and was lurching forward to strike at the one who had been harming him. Luckily Cesare had been prepared; he let the crossbow fall in the water as he took out his long daggers, faster than shadows, faster than either lizard or his companion could even see. And certainly faster than the lizard thing, which growled in anger when Cesare’s crossed daggers parried his spear.

Which didn’t help Cesare when the tail lashed back around, the steel mace on its end crushing through his armor and into his gut. The pain slammed away his breath, which was probably why his return blows failed to breach the lizard’s ragamuffin armor. The Rhoni’s second attack, however, hit home, both daggers slashing into the creature, reaching deep into its guts and causing it to spit blood Since Cesare was too close it chose to smash him with his shield, a sweeping move that sent Cesare literally flying. But not too far. He was stopped by a stone column and between the stone and the shield he was badly hurt – he had heard his ribs snap from the lizard’s sheer strength.

The creature loomed over Cesare, raising its spear , as if it were going to pin the Rhoni to the stone floor. It was probably strong enough to do so. But that flamboyant move left and opening, one that let Cesare thrust his long daggers straight up, through the beast’s ribs and then into its heart.

He knew the strike was true by the fountain of black blood.

He knew the strike was true because like a dead thing just fell forward.

Atop him.

Hopefully it would realize it was dead before it realized the Rhoni was squashed beneath it.

Mikal’s lizard-thing drew itself up, and even as it remained on its knees it was as still as tall as the Jvrillian. The problem was the length of its blade; no matter how swift or graceful his attacks were, the lizard thing would always have the first opportunity to strike. It was a blow that needed to be parried before he could return with his own attack.

The Jvrillian moved forward. It was a well practiced move – his shield moving up to block the crude greatsword, his own then reaching to lave a long gash across the creature’s arm, slicing along leather and steel and not just hurting the lizard-thing but bashing off its odd plate vambrace. The attack was not without it’s cost. The power of the creatures hit did more than shatter Mikal’s shield and push him backwards – it split and fractured; the only thing holding it together the band of metal around the rim and the straps that held it o his now useless arm.

This was a very very strong lizard.

It also made the next attacks problematic; they became a sharing of blows. The notched blade slammed into Mikal’s head, but beside a harsh ringing in his ears his helm kept him from being hurt. Mikal took a hunk of flesh out of the lizard’s shoulder. The greatsword opened a deep gash across Mikal’s chest, slashed across his front. His hit cut through the beast’s upper arm to the bone. The lizard-thing’s next attack was significantly less strong, its wounds taking their toll, only glancing along Mikal’s leg and allowing the Jvrillian to finally hack off one lizard arm.

It did not die –well perhaps it was dead – it would eventually bleed out and be unable to even reflexively move. And with only one arm it could not lift its own sword. So it just lurched through the water towards Mikal.

Kadri at least had an edge. When the beast turned on her it looked actually confused. How could this little thing be hurting her? This little thing had no weapon, it was just waving its arms. Kadri waved them about and not seeing anything to parry the lizard thing growled in surprise when the fingers of one of his hands were cut off. This make it very difficult to hold its wooden mallet, meaning Kari was only dazed when it hit her squarely in the head.

It was equally surprised when nothing decided to open up his other arm, a nasty, un-parried cut that parted muscled and tendons. So it kicked Kadri, sending her back towards the far wall. It charged in anger, only to be deftly dodged – the light Amberite moving to the side, which meant the lizard ran straight into the stone. And then, seemingly unarmed, the Korie lady simply passed her hand over the lizard’s back. A small, thin cut mark appeared and the lizard thing simply slid forward down the wall and twitched.

The fight was over.

Mostly.

Kadri’s lizard-thing was still twitching, but that was probably because it was dead and couldn’t see the person who killed I, being face first against the stone.

Mikal’s lizard-thing was harmless, slowly lurching towards Mikal, each shift of movement slower than the last. It would stop. Eventually.

Cesare was barely seen, being splashes of arms and legs from underneath another lizard-thing corpse.

On the bright side, there was no more noise from further down the hall. If there were more lizard-things beyond, at the least they weren’t coming their way.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/12/15 01:29 UTC
Kadri

Dance, dodge, twist, turn. A slice here, a slice there..

THIS was how a Kadri liked to fight, if she fought at all.

"I may be no warrior, but who says a little fox can't bite - the dance of small teeth is yet a dance."

She grins a feral grin.

"Take care of Them, Bekkah. I am not bad - and I can take care of my own injuries."

And she helps with rolling the beast to the extend she is able, and applies healing to herself.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/12/15 13:06 UTC
Cesare

He struggles under the weight of the creature, hoping that the others will lift it from him. If not, well he does have a way out.

And he is hurt.

It has happened to him enough times that he knows this one is serious. He is always glad that Bekkah is with them, he has respect for her wisdom. But at times like this, more than glad!
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/12/15 18:16 UTC
Bekkah

She knew better than to get involved. She told Dazi all the time that she had no worries, but that wasn't always true and this was one of those cases. She also knew that her meager skills with a knife were just as likely to hurt herself or one of her friends, as much as a lizard. So with as much dignity as she could muster, she backed up as much as possible, ready to run, if needed.

When it was all over, she rushed over to Cesare to help get the beast off of him.

Then she took stock of their injuries, doing what she could for the worst of them.

"I think if we meet up with another band, we need to consider retreating." she said when she was done. She knew she had some healing left, but she hadn't completely healed Mikal or Cesare.

"When we get back to town, I will look at your injuries again." she said in a tone that made it clear it wasn't a request.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/12/15 19:56 UTC
Mikal

Well, the plan hadn't worked out as best as it could have, but then it wasn't a disaster either. Still he knows he is badly hurt and he doesn't complain one bit as the sharp coolness of Bekkah's healing washes over him.

Once he has use of his arm again, and the dangerous chest wound is closed, he helps roll the lizard off Cesare so Bekkah can reach him. All the while he keeps careful watch on the dying lizard as it staggers and finally collapses.

Looking sadly at the shattered remains of his recently painted shield, he promises to repaint his emblem on another one once he gets back to the town above and he drops the shards into the water.

He then sheathes his broadsword and removes his darksteel weapons, short sword and main gauche, and keeps watch as Bekkah finished up her healing.

"We need to get moving while no more of those things are about", he offers.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 15/12/15 12:11 UTC
Cesare

He is relieved to get that huge carcase off of him.. and despite the pain from his ribs he takes deep breaths of relatively fresh air. He is very happy to see that his companions are all OK though Mikal is still showing signs of injuries and he is very happy when Bekkah approaches him.

"Yes ma'am" he grins an agreement to seeing her again once they are back. He feels a lot better now, most of the pain has gone. Certainly he can function again and there is a small girl's life at stake.

"I'll get Rory" he offers, heading back a little way so they don't have to shout.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 20/12/15 16:27 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Rory’s singing stopped as he heard Cesare approach, the Rhoni a much more appreciated companion than a cavalcade of lizard-things.

“I was a’ruuning out of verses …”

With Cesare’s help he was able to bridge the unseen pit and return up the subterranean corridor. As the two returned – bringing with them Rory’s lamp, of course - the carven halls behind were once again returned to shadow.

As they had waited, Bekkah relaxed. She was well accustomed to her earlier tasks and the halls and water had sparkled white by the spakles of her healing. It was a delicate balance; ensuring she retained the strength to aid them further into the dungeon while making sure the two warriors were strong enough to stand against threatening lizard-things. The problem, of course, was that getting hurt was much more dangerous; now a lighter blow could wreak as much harm as a heavier one.

Kadri, however, was feeling well again; happily her odd attack had served its purpose well. Lizard-things appeared to be easily confounded.

When Cesare and Rory returned, they could push on.

Mikal lead them, deeper down the hall.

Soon there was a break in the unrelieved colonnade. An opening broke off to the right; it was a short corridor and it ended not in darkness but in collapsed rubble. Ahead of them the main street continued, leading deeper into the underground lair. The soft yellow light of another column lashed lamp was a signal that whatever destination there was in this simple labyrinth it was still further to the east.

That said, there was a small room off this small side passage. It was distinguished by a disturbing oddity. On the wall, opposite the room’s entrance, a ladder was bolted to the wall. The ladder itself was wood, turned gray like driftwood. Its upper end could not be seen; the ceiling was beyond the illumination of their lamps and past even Kadri’s sight. Bolted metal angles held the ladder in place, but while many were rusted they were not rusted enough to cause any danger.

This meant one thing.

All things considered, ladder was moderately well maintained.

While they couldn’t tell exactly, Rory from living in the town all his life and Bekkah, from her walk with the High Priestess, were pretty much in agreement.

If this ladder continued straight up, it would rise to the surface somewhere inside of the Fisherman’s portion of Talesan’s Village.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 21/12/15 12:21 UTC
Cesare

He stands for a moment looking at the ladder, working out distance in his head and musing out loud.

"We should check to see if it is bolted this side. That at least will confirm our direction. It does suggest though that it was not a fisherman who took her as coming down this ladder would be an easy option, avoiding those lizards, though likely he would have been seen in the village. And I guess he must have a safe way past those lizards any how.."

Realising he is rambling, he looks at Mikal.

"Worth a climb? Or do we assume that he wouldn't have come all this way to just return to the village?"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 21/12/15 12:50 UTC
Rory

The farmer shook his head, holding his lamp as high as he could. It still did not illuminate the ceiling far above.

"Excepting that the fisherfolk taking Dydd, if'n they came down this way, would have been seen crossing through the Village."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 21/12/15 14:13 UTC
Kadri

"So perhaps then it is not a starting point but a destination? Either way, leaving it an unknown seems unwise."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 21/12/15 18:54 UTC
Mikal

He nods in agreement to all the statements. "Not to mention it could give us a way out if we can't finish here before the tide comes back in and block the door by the sea."

He looks up, then back to Cesare and Kadri. "Do one of you want to take a look? I'd probably be better placed to keep watch down here."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 22/12/15 12:28 UTC
Cesare

He grins at Kadri.

"You want the honour or should I go?"

He offers her the choice. He can climb but she is also lighter than him.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/12/15 03:00 UTC
Kadri:

"That I can do. I will take a look. If I scream shout and run be ready to skewer something yes?"

After giving a look and a raised eyebrow to see if there are any objections she starts up the ladder."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/12/15 16:24 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

In the end it was anti-climatic.

The ladder may have looked worn, but it had been truly well maintained. For Kadri the climb itself was not difficult; well at the least not for the first twenty five feet. For those below it was as if the fine Korie lass had been swallowed by the darkness. For Kadri, on one hand it was confirmation she was the proper person to take up this task – her shadow sight allowdher to safely continue. On the other hand it was certainly spooky and a little disconcerting.

She had passed the point where falling would just hurt.

That and she couldn’t imagine anyone being able to force a scared child to climb these rungs.

Eventually she could not climb any farther.

Kadri came to a stop; after perhaps forty or fifty feet of climbing. She had hit a ceiling and rafters, but they were wood, not stone. A best she could figure the rafters spanned over a break in the stonework. If this had been a town some time in the past, the raters would have been crossing a section of alley. Right above the ladder was what looked to be a door, the type of thing you might see when climbing to the top of a watchtower.

But two things were missing.

The hinge and a lock.

Based on the fact that the hatch refused to budge, it was pretty certain they were on the other, upper, side.

Listening as best she could, there was since beyond the hatch, as if it opened into a large unoccupied space – like a storeroom or a warehouse.

In an unused space with the lock on the other side, this was no a secret exit from the underground labyrinth.

It was a secret entrance.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/12/15 17:02 UTC
She pauses mumbling under her breath for a moment before heading back down the ladder.

"Look a like its a one way trap door for above. The ladder is well maintained so it looks like it's seen use. I took a look through a crack - it looks like a warehouse it has boat stuff hung in it. Sails, nets boxes and crates. Given fisher wives outside, I'd have to say that combined with the boat material leads one to think its a warehouse for the boats. Based on the light coming in I'd say it's longways going east-west, near the water of course. One of the two largest buildings on one side or the other of the central street by the two east most blocks at the pier, I'd say."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 28/12/15 10:53 UTC
Cesare

He is relieved to see Kadri returning, he had been wondering if he should have insisted on going up himself, despite thinking that she had been best for the job. He smiles and nods at her report.

"OK, onward it is then."

He hopes they find the young girl soon. He cannot imagine how her father must be feeling.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 28/12/15 18:01 UTC
Mikal

He pauses at Kadri's report, considering, then turns to Rory. "Do you know the place Kadri mentions?" He asks the man. "I wonder whether Dydd might have been taken up there?"

He glances at Kadri. "Was there any sign of the ladder having been used recently? New scratches or scrapes? Fresh mud or water on the rungs?" After all, anyone who had come through this muck would have left some of it on the ladder on their way up.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 03/01/16 15:20 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Whether or not Kadri could discern if folks had climbed the ladder recently was a moot point. First, because she could not and second, because the hatch was sufficiently locked and barred to prevent passage.

It made a modicum of sense. If indeed this lead up into the village, the last thing someone would want would be a bored lizard-thing deciding it smelled food in this direction.

Rory simply confirmed Kadri’s earlier speculation.

“Tha lassie is correct; the west end of the village we call Fishertown, because, well that’s where all the fishermen live. And they ‘ave a couple of real big buildings where they store what they need to be takin’ care of the boats, ja? Right about where she described.

“But I’d be wonderin’ what they’d be wanting to come down here for. It’s all dank and wet.

“And full of lizards. Where did these things come from? The closest we have to this are the fish that climb outta the river, but they are natural fish that’s been corrupted by the Forest. These look like they’s always been … big … and lizard-ish.”

This left Cesare’s recommendation the only choice for further exploration.

Onward then.

For a good portion of the time it was a wet but easy walk. If there had been lizard folk here, the ploy to use Rory’s song to pull them down the hall had pretty much cleared the subterranean street. Row upon row of columns were splashed by and in a regular pattern makeshift lamps were hung from rope-wrapped stone. It was only after a good distance had passed that the situation changed.

They had obviously reached their destination but this was not necessarily a change for the good.

The halls opened up; perhaps ages ago this had been a street intersection. It was much better lit; Kadri and Mikal were able to sneak forward to peer around a stone corner and get a good view of the space. The room was wide and deep enough to hold a large group of people, though at the moment it was mostly empty.

But only mostly empty.

A handful of lizard-things were distributed across the room, but something was different. They were not randomly scattered, they stood as if they were at some sort of post. The only one that didn’t was the one off to the far, far right; he sat in he shallow water, quite happily munching – loudly – on a large bone.

On the far wall, flanked by two lizard-things, was a carven black metal disc; it shimmered in the lamplight as there was nary a spot of rust. The bas relief was easily discerned, it was of a large, many toothed shark curled dramatically, its nose almost touching its tail. Encircling the border of the disc was lettering. No one could read it, it was a fine and flowing script with many curves and interlinked letters.

The Rhoni, however, recognized where it was from, remembering his youth and his travels with his family beneath the shadow of the Black Mountains.

It was the writing from the East.

That was when the realization hit. This space was not large enough to hold just any group of people.

It was large to hold a congregation.

Last, however, were the two not-lizard-things. One was a little girl; luckily, being the last in line, Rory had not yet moved close enough to see. The girl was soaked through and through and her simple tunic was torn and stained. She was almost manacled to the wall with heavy chains and thick cuffs. Two lengths of rope were looped through the cuffs and then tied to her wrists. It seems the bindings were originally set for someone much older or at least taller so who ever bound the girl had to jury-rig a makeshift solution.

The other was a young man; perhaps on his twentieth year or so. He did not look happy with his posing, here in the dark water. Resting on the wall beside him was along fisherman’s gaff, they type of nasty and sharp tool used to bring a large fish out of the water and onto the deck of a ship. He was not armored and he leaned against the wall next to Dyddplentyn with his arms crossed.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 04/01/16 03:18 UTC
Kadri:

Someone.

She thought.

Is in need of being brought down. This will not stand. Cannot stand.

She also hold it a hand and catches Rory's eyes, motioning for him to stay back for now.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 04/01/16 16:34 UTC
Mikal

He peers carefully into and around the area looking to see if there is a path to the girl that can be taken with cover. He also carefully counts the exact number of lizard things and their positions.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 04/01/16 20:58 UTC
[[see the link in the OOC thread for exact count of baddies and where they are!]]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 05/01/16 14:14 UTC
Cesare

They need a plan. To do that they need to talk but not this close. He gestures to Mikal & Kadri to move back as he turns and quietly starts to backtrack.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 05/01/16 18:22 UTC
Mikal

He takes one last look at the scene, memorizing the positions of everyone in the room, and then quietly moves back into the hallway with Kadri, Bekkah, and Cesare, keeping Rory from peering into the room if possible.

He has an idea, but it is sort of a 'last resort' kind of thing, so he listens to Cesare first.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 06/01/16 16:35 UTC
Cesare

Once they are out of earshot, he confers quietly with the others.

"That disc comes from the East, well at lease that is the writing on it. Doubt the others come from there though, more likely they found this place and made it their HQ. Is the young lad a leader?"

He turns to Rory.

"Wondered if you might recognise the lad."

He describes him as best he can.

"We need to try to separate them if we can. Can't take them all at once, too many. Maybe a noise that one or two might investigate?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 06/01/16 17:46 UTC
Mikal

He listens to Cesare. **Much as I was thinking.** Then shakes his head. "I took him to be a simple guard, left by the fisher folk to watch the girl and make sure the Lizards didn't eat her if they got hungry."

But he pauses to hear if Rory knows who it is. It's a small town after all and everybody probably knows everybody.

At Cesare's final comment he sighs and looks to Kadri and Cesare.

"How quiet can you two be?"
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 07/01/16 03:18 UTC
Kadri:

She gives Mikal a LOOK, one eyebrow gracefully raised.

"Seriously, Mikal - you are asking ME if I can be quiet and sneaky? This is a question?"

She grins widely.

"As a child. I was known for being late for dinner ... While I was already sitting there eating it."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 07/01/16 10:35 UTC
Cesare

Still waiting for Rory to think through the description, he responds to Mikal.

"OK.. probably not as good as Kadri."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 07/01/16 12:49 UTC
Mikal

He looks at Rory, while waiting for him to reply if he knows the young man and ask him. "Do you know how to use a crossbow?" He indicates his own crossbow on his back that he hasn't used yet.

(OOC - Wolf - Is the map showing the complete room? IOW we see walls on all sides and there is no open space to the right or other exits anywhere?)
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 10/01/16 12:31 UTC
Rory

"Me ... a crossbow? Cor lad, the most dangerous thing ah ever held was the family carvin' knife ..."

[[OOC notes - there are two openings .... a small one leading east (up), next to the lunching lizard and the whole "width" of the "street" to the south (right).

Last, i have been hit by a ton of work this weekend; on the other hand it looks like you folks are still trying to formulate a plan! ]]

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 13:26 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

There were several things that had been discerned, there in the strange shrine beneath Talesan’s Village.

First, that Rory was indeed a farmer; while he might know how to wield a pitchfork or a hoe, he had never used a crossbow before.

“ … I mean, isn’t that what the Knight and Squire are for?”

Which, of course raised the obvious question. Where was the Knight and the Squires? They were not in the Village this morning; they had been summoned to an altercation at the most eastern homes of Talesan’s Village, up by the Bridge on the Highland Path over the Blackwater.

Very and perhaps even too convenient. That couldn’t have worked out better for the Fisherfolk than if it had been planned.

Second, that of course Kadri could sneak. Especially here, with all the little lamp lights; there were shadows small and large across the halls and shadows were her playground.

And third …

Third was the size of the hall. It was large enough for a congregation of Fisherfolk. Large enough to hold the crew of several fishing boats, and their families.

At the moment they had but one disgruntled fisherlad and his entourage of lizard things to handle. But time was not their friend. The girl had been brought and chained here for a reason, otherwise they would have dealt with her and not held her shackled o the wall.

Eventually the congregation will return. There would be more, more fisherfolks, and the ship crews were probably more skilled than a lad left to keep an eye on less than intelligent lizard-things.

This was their chance.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 18:04 UTC
Mikal

**Oh well.** He thinks. **It'd have been nice to have another pair of hands.** But if Rory can't handle a crossbow, perhaps he can use a club to help defend Bekkah.

Turning to those around him he lays out his plan.

"Kadri, you enter the room and sneak around the pillars to the right. Circle around until you reach the girl. In the meantime, Cesare and I will fire our crossbows. First we'll take out the fisherman and then we'll fire at that lone lizard on the right that's eating to try to draw him towards us here or kill him to clear your path as you circle behind him."

"Hopefully, by the time you reach the girl the fisherman will be dead and you can free her from her ropes and then try to lead her back the way you came."

"After Cesare and I fire perhaps 2 or 3 bolts each, I expect we'll have all the lizards charging us. If we're lucky the one eating will be dead by then."

"I will enter the room, put my back to a pillar and draw them to me." He pauses. "Believe me, I can make myself noticed" He smiles softly. "You sneak around behind me and out, back the way we came. Cesare can continue to shoot at long as possible."

"Rory, you will stay here and defend Bekkah as best you can just in case."

"Before we start, I need to cast a spell on us all. It will help in the fighting."

(OOC - OK, Wolf, in English here it is. It's a bit complicated so I wanted to lay it out. Let me know if any of this stuff doesn't "stack":
1 - Mikal will cast "Morale" on the whole group. This whole room should easily be within the area of effect.
2 - He will cast "Harden" on himself (total of 4 points from his own magic store and from the sword)
3 - He will cast "Weapon Blessing" (2 pts) on his Darksteel Short Sword
4 - He will cast "Strike" (1 pt) on his short sword
5 - He and Ceasare will fire at the fisherman guarding the girl until he's dead then will fire at the lizard to the right that's eating until it's dead or the lizards charge.
6 - Once the lizards close, he will sling his crossbow and draw his short sword and main gauche and cast "Blaze" (3 pts) on the sword.
7 - Now carrying a flaming sword he will step forward and find a pillar further into the room to put his back to and challenge the whole group to combat.
8- This should allow Cesare to fire from behind, at the entrance of the room to help cover Kadri, in case any of them split off from Mikal, and for Kadri to lead the girl around the edges of the room and out while Mikal has the attention of all the lizards.
9 - He is saving "Slipperiness" (2 pts) and will use it if his sword gets stuck as well as saving "Rend" (1 pt) to add punch to one of his hits.
10 - And, yes, he knows if he doesn't kill all the lizards it could be a suicide mission, which is why he's using all his magic.

Comments?)
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 18:10 UTC
(Waiting for his answer before deciding on my list)
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 18:33 UTC
[[a plan! and yes, all is accomplishable as per your outline!]]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 18:47 UTC
(OOC - I actually had this plan for a while, but was hoping somebody else might come up with something better than Mikal standing alone in the room with a flaming sword and magical protection taking on a dozen lizards in single combat to cover the escape of the girl and his friends. It's either worthy of a Bard's tale and something that will have Jvrillian's flocking to his troop, presuming he survives it, or a suicide mission. smile )
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 18:58 UTC
OOC:
Item the First, Aryllis cloak. I think this qualifies as not frivolous by a long shot.

Item the second, Darksword for obvious reasons just in case combat ensues.

Vision ahead of time to scout for the other direction to make sure the best, quickest, most hidden path is available.

Dullard for distractions as needed.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 19:07 UTC
[OOC Cesare also has 'Harden' and will use it. Remind me, what is Ironhand?]
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 19:16 UTC
[[ Ironhand is a magical add to hitting someone with their fist. Very nasty for someone doing hand o hand combat ... like Dance of Daggers]]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/01/16 19:29 UTC
[OK smile not planning on that with these beasties ]

Cesare

He nods signifying his understanding but he is unlikely to abandon Mikal as easily as the man might think. He loads his crossbow, checks his gear and casts Harden.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 24/01/16 15:51 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

When sellswords and guardsmen gather round a tavern table, deep into the night, exchanging tales of battle, the stories tend to fall into traditional patterns. The valiant last stand. Hold on one heartbeat longer … which often lead to the cavalry arriving at the very last moment. The hero against insurmountable odds.

For the fisher lad, his tale fell too into a traditional pattern, a sudden and inescapable fate:

He didn’t stand a chance.

The lad wasn’t wearing any armor, his watch had past he point of monotony into disgruntlement and he had no idea at all that unseen, in the shadows, two crossbows were leveled at him. Both Cesare and Mikal had crept up, moving very slowly to the edge of the last row of columns. They had to move slow, to keep from splashing.

Kadri had taken the longer way around, not that anyone could tell. It was almost as if she had faded into the shadows, vanished into the darkness, almost like … no, exactly like she had been swept beneath a cloak of over-protective darkness.

She did, however, feel a light rap on the very top of her head, like a child being scolded by an elder sister.

… took you long enough!

The two crossbows fired as if one. Cesare’s. however, fell low, splashing into the water a handful of inches away from the lad. The lad, however, did not notice. His attention was focused on the quarrel that was deep between his ribs. Mikal’s shot had hit him square in the chest, burying itself into the boy in a full depth impalement. He took one step forward, then a second, but even by that second step he was already collapsing forward. He ended with a face first splash into the shallow water and then just lay there.

He didn’t even twitch.

The lizards, they stood a bit straighter. It was a strange curiosity, not understanding what had happened to their overseer. The closest ones took a step forward but it was hard to tell if they were warily alarmed or trying do decide if they could now eat him.

Which is probably why the one in the far right corner simply continued to munch upon his bone.

Mikal must have had Jvrill’s favor this lat morning – was it still morning? When he turned to clear the path for Kadri his second shot was as true as the first. The only difference being that the lizard-thing wore armor. His quarrel slammed home with a mighty whunk, the sound echoing across the shrine.

The lizard-thing looked down at his own chest. He tried to pull the quarrel out, treating it as if it were a stupid water bug. Maybe he could eat it. But when it would not come out he growled, nasty and annoyed, looking about the room to see if he could see who had done this too him.

Which was a mistake.

Because that meant Cesare’s bolt hit him soundly in the head. There was nothing special about the shot; it was just a competent and sure strike. That it speared the Liard-thing’s green eye, sending a splash of ichor star bursting out like a popped bladder was what made the difference. The ugly thing screamed, tossing its head back as it tried to tear at the quarrel with its lizardy claws. It fell over backwards in a horrendous splash. And while it did not pursue it did thrash horribly in place and did not seem to be stopping any time soon.

This definitely attracted the malevolent attention of the other guards. Three of them, at the least. The one in the far far left corner, that one only took a few steps from his post, just enough to see the developing melee. He seemed torn, trying to decide whether or not to join his companions or to continue guarding what ever it was he had been tasked to protect.

The two with the swords and shields were the first to reach Mikal, forcing him back against one of the tall stone columns. They were also the first to jump nimbly back when his sword burst into flame! That did perturb them greatly; if they got close enough to hit Mikal it meant that he would be close enough to hit them with a black flamey poking thing! For a moment, a handful of heartbeats, it was an oddly and darkly silly stalemate. They waved their swords at Mikal but refused to close.

The stalemate was resolved by the third lizard thing driving forward with his vicious and very very long makeshift great sword-cleaver. There was nothing Mikal could do but parry; it was simple physics - the longer weapon got the first strike. And strike it did, a wide arc that cut through armor and flesh to leave a near fatal wound across the Jvrillian’s belly. Mikal had tried to parry, but his luck had run out.

That attack must have weakened his return strike; while the lizard winced and lurched to the side the only visible effect was a very huge dent in the piece of rusted steel strapped to its leg.

Mikal was still standing. He could still fight.

But he knew two things.

First, he knew could not afford to take a second blow like that.

Second, he knew that he would not be standing now if it wasn’t for the preparations and protections he had made before stepping into the fight.

All this, however, gave Kadri the opportunity to get to the kidnapped girl. Only to discover that her deity did have a very odd sense of humor. Kadri was cloaked in her Lady’s protection, a mysterious and mischievous swirl of twilight, grey and black. Her dagger was not to be seen, so as far as Dyddplenyn could tell her bindings were invisibly lifted and shorn.

So she did what any scared little girl would do.

“MAAAAAAA! FAAAAAAAA!”

Dyydd cried out in panic, sruggling to run away.

Because now, as far as she could tell, now, after being kidnapped by fisherfolk and thrown into the company of lizard-things, she was now being stolen by the shadows!

Which, of course, started Rory running forward!

The Shrine of the Shark God
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/01/16 00:24 UTC
Kadri:

She speaks in gentle and quiet tones to her.

"Shh, Dyydd. I am Kadri, remember? The weird little one from the Amber Inn with the pretty little horse? How would you like me to take you to see your Fa?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/01/16 12:21 UTC
Cesare

It is all happening too quickly. In his head he knows that the child is the most important, then her father then his companions but he cannot help but be drawn to protect Mikal. They had been together a long time, fought together, worked together, trained together.

But going in against 3 of them would not likely help Mikal. Maybe he can distract them. The creature with the long weapon is obviously the biggest threat. He fires his crossbow at him, then dances backwards, yelling at them.

"Ya big clumsy cowards, think you can take me then?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/01/16 12:38 UTC
Bekkah

She had moved up some, staying back from the others. She wanted to be able to see the fight when it happened. And when Mikal was struck with a mighty blow she started forward.

*And this is why.* she thought knowing she had to get to him and that she couldn't wait for the fight to be over because unless Mikal could fight again, it was only going to end one way.

When Cesare started the distraction, she moved behind Cesare, boots and skirts soaked now.

"Take a step back Mikal." she said as she began calling upon her Lady's blessing.

If he didn't comply, she'd rush even closer. Either way, she reached up and touched the back of his neck where she knew he'd have no armor. As soon as she did, the power from her Lady flowed through her into his body. The wound closed, the blood loss was gone and he was ready again.

"I probably can't do that again so be careful." she said stepping back nimbly.

[ooc: Let me know what she'd have left.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/01/16 13:49 UTC
Mikal

**So far so good** He thinks with a grim mental chuckle and a vocal groan at the solid blow that hit his midsection.

He knows he can't take another hit like that, but he has to depend on his companions to do the right thing and not try to do everything himself, or he will fall.

**Of course the right thing for them is to flee as fast as they can while I keep these things engaged.** But somehow he knows they won't abandon him here. just as he would not abandon them.

So rather than use his own healing, no matter how much his mind is shouting at him to do so, he depends on Bekkah to help him. He is reassured as he hears her voice approaching, asking him to try to move close.

**This will be close. I need to do this exactly, just so.**

He knows the one with the long weapon is the most dangerous, and he has to close with it, and fast, so he can get inside it's reach where it cannot effectively use it's blade.

So, he takes a step back, feinting a move around the pillar, as if he intends to run behind it for cover, trying to draw the long-weaponed one to take a step closer.

It also brings him closer to Bekkah.

As soon he he feels her touch, he pivots and charges back, sword leading like a spear of flame, Main Gauche held slightly higher just in case a parry is needed. His intent is to get inside the brute's weapon arc and gut it.

For added punch, he expends his Rend spell at the same time.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 31/01/16 15:40 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Things certainly began on an auspicious note; both lizard-things and those trying to rescue Ddyddplentyn were almost blinded by the sudden flash of whit power that most certainly overwhelmed the paltry lamplight.

Bekkah had moved forward, quickly rushing through he shallow water until she could invoke her Lady’s power. It was the touch that brought forth the bright and sudden starburst. This was no common magic, the Priestess had summoned forth the power of her goddess; for Mikal all hurts were banished, all wounds healed, it was as if he was starting this combat anew.

Being a divine touch, this cost Bekkah no strength at all – it just meant she could not call on this power again; at least not until they had left this place, rescued the girl, and in the Cathedral above prayed for her lady to grant her this power once more.

From there, however, the conflict degenerated into asset of mixed bag results.

Cesare’s shot went wide, sailing down the center of the shrine and while it did hit it hit the black metal disc at the far end of the room. It bounced off and landed in the water with a splash, not even leaving a scratch upon the sigil.

His taunting, however, managed to pull two of the lizard-things away from Mikal. The problem, of course, was that they were now focused on the Rhoni! Backpedal as he might, it did not help that he big creatures were also fast; this watery place was ere they lived, after all. One got close enough to take a wipe at him; luckily the lizard-thing swung too soon and missed.

This left Mikal facing off with the cleaver armed guard. There first blows sent the sound of steel against metal echoing between the hard stone columns. His attack had certainly thrown the lizard-thing off its form, the hit not even denting the Jvrillian’s armor. Mikal’s blow returned the favor from the previous melee; it was his turn to open up the beast, darksteel slashing through leg armor and upper high, leaving a trail of thick black blood in its wake.

It paused, it gave Mikal an angry, glare, and growled loudly.

And they both attacked. This time it was Mikal’s turn to just dent armor and the lizard –thing missed completely. The beast missed a second time but Mikal’s blow slammed straight in, the shortsword buried almost to the hilt. Indeed it was only the unique magics cast on the blade in Bordertown that allowed him to pull it from the lizard-things chest. And when he did it caused a fountain of blood, spraying out as the big creature fell to its knees. It should be dead, but it wasn’t. Not quite. Not yet.

All it could do now, it seemed was crawl-hobble in water. It was now slow and for Mikal, its arms and tail would be easy to keep out of each.

“Stranger lady?”

Ddydd blinked, all wide eyed.

“Bu you are all shadowy!”

But she also hugged, latching herself tight to Kadri’s skirts.

This was going to make moving a challenge, let alone sneak!

Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 01/02/16 02:57 UTC
Kadri:

"If you want to come see your fa, you are going to need to do exactly what I say - let go of my legs, take my hand and go exactly where I go. Can you do that, Dydd? Please?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 01/02/16 14:09 UTC
Cesare

Well it had worked, maybe better than he wanted it too. Time he was somewhere else. He had seen the flash of light from around Mikal. He had seen it before and know what it was.

He uses Elsewhere to get back towards Mikal and then will taunt again, hopefully bringing them back to Mikal and to their deaths.

"Over here you stupid creatures! What are you doing over there!"

At his first opportunity he will fire the crossbow again.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 14/02/16 18:44 UTC
Mikal

His opponents are getting less, which is typically a good thing. However in this case a couple of them have chosen to turn on Cesare instead of facing his flaming sword.

So with a single foe in front of him he tries to drop it as quickly as possible so he can turn to help Cesare.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 21/02/16 15:13 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

It was much different than falling off a horse. Not that falling off a horse didn’t hurt, nor was it somehow not dangerous or potentially fatal. This was, however, different. First, of course, was that Bekkah had never run up against any opponent who was so stupid they did not know the prohibition or consequences of hurting an Atteran.

It started with the massive lizard thing with the very long cleaver of metal falling forward, with a splash that sent water dashing this way and that, rising like a sheet and falling in uncountable droplets.

Mikal’s shortsword slashed downwards, his attempt to end that dangerous beast. At the same time, driven by pain, death and a single minded purpose it in turn struck out at its closest target. To be fair, it was the only target that was now in front of its desperate maybe-dead arc. So as Bekkah tried to nimbly step back its rusted blade slashed across the water to cut through cream and white skirts and leave a painful white hot gash in her leg, taking the priestess to her knees.

Bekkah, slipping and falling backwards was now beyond reach of the lizard-thing and the lizard-thing was no longer going anywhere. Mikal’s shortsword had removed it’s leg and it was left to twist and writhe in place. And it bled; it bled fountains, staining the water even blacker than night.

That left two.

Actually three; but the third hadn’t moved from in front of its door.

With a pop, a plash and a definite surprise, Cesare was then next to Mikal. It was exactly as if he hadn’t been there – and now, it was as if he had been there all the while. The two lizards that had been chasing him looked around, growled at each other, trying to find their vanished foe. Cesare’s taunt solved that problem for them. They weren’t smart enough to question how he had gotten away, just smart enough to understand their victim was now over there and they better go after him.

Cesare’s crossbow sang, the quarrel sailing swift and true. One of the lizard-things growled in pain as it went down on one leg. Still a distance from the two men, it could only slowly lurch forward.

The other was a bit swifter. It actually leaped – a low and flat trajectory, that had it immediately next to the Rhoni. That, however, put it right next to Mikal, allowing a flaming sword to separate the creature’s sword from its hand … and its hand from it’s arm in a single lucky stroke.

It blinked, once, twice and with blood pouring form the shorn stump and then tried to beat Mikal with it’s shield. It failed.

It seemed like the fight might end soon. The two lizard things simply needed to be convinced that they were dying and dead.

Except …

Dyddplentyn looked up to Kadri with wide eyes, nodded and took her hand.

“Fa is here?”

She peeked about, trying around to see if she could find her father. And then she simply raised her hand and pointed. She pointed to the west, down the corridor they had come.

“W'ats t'at?”

Entering at the very edge of the lamplight, coming up from behind, there was first the hump of a pressure wave.

And a bit further a single triangular fin cut through the top of the water.

This was a Shrine to a Shark God, after all.

Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 21/02/16 16:08 UTC
Bekkah

She wanted to stay out of the way, not because she feared being struck, but because she didn't want to be in the way of her friends. So the strike surprised her like nothing else in her life. It also hurt, bad, very bad. She looked down in the water as her blood flowed into the water. Her hand moved to her wound, wincing at the intense pain. She'd never been injured like this before.

If others could read her next thoughts, they'd see why she was meant to be a Lady of Attera.

*My Lady, you've shown me how the pain others endure feels. All the more reason, that I love and honor you and your gifts.* she thought in a moment.

She moved back as best she could, her white robes scandalously wet. Once the threat of another strike passed. She laid her hand on her wound.

"Thank you for the lesson my Lady. I humbly ask for your blessing for myself." she said as the power flowed through her, easing her pain with a warm comforting feeling.

She got back to her feet, the blood on her robes a reminder of the lesson.

As the last two seemed to be down, or soon to be down, she looked around and listened for more trouble.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 21/02/16 16:53 UTC
Cesare

Appearing next to Mikal, he is ready to fire at the creatures coming towards them. He hits one but the other moves forward more quickly than hew had thought possible. He starts to breath again when Mikal disarms it in more ways that one.

So he takes a step back and to the side out of its immediate reach and fires again at the one he hit last time.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 28/02/16 04:47 UTC
"Look out behind! Something incoming , see the wake in the water!"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 28/02/16 13:24 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

The lizard-thing with the shorn am, it simply thrashed in he water, rolling this way and that, its heavy tail splashing in the water. That not only made waves but set water flying – if the group was not yet soaked … now they were. But with each convulsion the lizard-thing was getting weaker and weaker and weaker.

For Cesare, his foe was moving slowly, his foe was large and thus an easy target, almost like fishing in a barrel. All it took was that last solid crossbow bolt to pierce lizard-thing scales and send him slowly tumbling forward. He splashed face first, into the shallow water and twitched.

And twitched and twitched and twitched.

It was a second spray of white light that vanquished the harsh gash across Bekkah’s leg, cleansing the wound, mending short flesh and muscle, allowing her to stand comfortably again.

The true problem, as Kadri pointed out, was the black wave of water and triangular in coming from the west, slicing around the columns with both a predatory ease and a deadly grace. It was indeed a shark and in the time that had passed it was no longer approaching.

It was there.

And the farthest back of the small troupe of rescuers and thus the closest to the hungry fish?

Bekkah.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 28/02/16 15:53 UTC
Cesare

He looks up at Kardi's shout, his eyes searching for the threat at then he sees it.. or at least the bow wave that heralds its approach. He aims the crossbow and let's fly, the only thing we can do immediately to help.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 29/02/16 14:34 UTC
Bekkah

She felt immediately better as she'd expected. Standing, she looked at the lizard that had attacked her as it finally died. Then before she could relax, she heard Kadri's warning.

She turned and looked, her eyes going wide. She had no doubts that this was the shark that Romana had warned them about. She also had no doubts that it would happily eat her or anyone else.

While she didn't want anyone else to get hurt, she also knew that if she was going to be of any use to any of them, it wasn't going to be by standing in the path of a monster.

She turned and dove into the water, behind her thinking that was the quickest way to get behind her friends. It was a quick dive, coming up almost immediately, her blond hair hanging limp over her completely soaked white robe.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 06/03/16 15:47 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Finally, finally, that last lizard-thing, the one standing in the northwest corner moved. Very very very slowly it slipped back towards the north, until he was now directly in front of his door. He was not a happy looking lizard-thing; looking concerned and worried and probably thinking something along the lines of if he stays here right in front of his door, like he’s supposed to, and no one will come this way and bother him.

No.

They were not very smart at all.

The shark, however, was not so cooperative.

Bekkah’s retreat came in the nick of time, the Priestess jumping out of the way as the shark sliced forward. It had gotten close enough for her to discern its night black predatory form, just beneath the water’s surface; it definitely was the same manner of demon fish that her apprentice had spoken of. Her dive was more of a forward, desperate leap but there was just enough water to break her fall and – like a rock skipped across a pond - sail forward far enough to end with both Cesare and Mikal between her and the shark.

Which gave Cesare a clean and open shot. The bolt sailed true, it was actually hard to miss, it wasn’t as if the shark was trying to dodge. The quarrel buried itself into the shark’s topside, just in front of the black triangular fin.

It did nothing, however, to slow the fish demon’s approach.

Meaning that it was sheer luck that Cesare was able to dodge being bitten.

He did, however, get a glimpse of its flat black eyes and double row of very sharp teeth.

Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 06/03/16 16:03 UTC
Miklal

As Bekkah dives past and Cesare shoots Mikal grabs the nearest dying Lizard thing and tosses it between them and the Shark. He doesn't know anything about sharks, but it gives all the appearances of a predator and predators will always go for the lame and injured in preference to one who can put up a fight. The joke among the trackers in the Troop was that you did not need to run faster than the Softpad. Only faster then the other guy. Not to mention the blood pouring from the mortally wounded lizard.

Immediately after shoving the lizard forward, he takes his flaming sword and dagger and readies them, like twin spears, pointed directly at the shark's head. If ignores the lizard and charges forward it will impale itself on them.

Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 15:42 UTC
Kadri tries to judge distance and shadows - and if possible to, provide a distraction(summon shade). If not, she cannot quickly reach the others and needs protect and watch dydd.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 16:09 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

This was definitely not a lizard-thing; this was definitely a predator, and a nasty one at that. It was also fighting with a vengeance because, no matter the right or wrong of things, the good or the evil, the chaotic or the law, this was its shrine it was defending …

… and they were the interlopers.

The best thing about swords and daggers was that heir attacks struck first; they had the reach on the fish, or at least until it actually managed to bite someone. And that it did, taking Mikal to his knees with a single powerful lunge an closing of its powerful jaws. And it did so because Mikal was definitely the most dangerous one there and it knew it because it was the Jvrillian’s’s sword that had first slashed through its thick hide, just in front of its dorsal fin.

In some ways Mikal was glad that it was that fate made it a solid hit and not an impaling one; his strike was deep enough to cause great hurt, which in turn sent the shark writhing, his entire body twisting this way and that in both pain and fury. If he had impaled, surely he would have ha his sword yanked from his grip.

But that was also the reason that Cesare’s hit had little effect, the shark’s tail caching the Rhoni and tossing him against the nearby column. While he had his wind knocked out of him he seemed otherwise unharmed.

And that was when Dyddplentyn screamed. The little girl pointed again, at the shadows that surrounded the bloody melee. For one of them had taken shape and form, all spikey and toothy and with rd triangular eyes that burned like hellfire. How was a little girl to know this newest monster was a shade summoned by Kadri?

The shadow wrapped over the shark and it bit. It was hard to see what was happening as the black fish was wrapped in black and blood was suddenly – so much like a ruff shaking himself after being doused in water – spraying everywhere.

Set a baby demon to fight a baby demon.

Even taken down, the salty water making matters worse, Mikal still had enough left to lift his sword and strike, until …

… until between sword and shadow there was silence.

Like feather pillow exploding, but with feathers black, the shadow vanished.

The shark lay still, not moving, his carcass having been ripped and shorn and literally torn to pieces by darksteel and aether.

Mikal collapsed, his adrenaline rush over.

And or a moment, just a moment, save for the splashing of water against stone, all was silent in the Shrine of the Shark God.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 16:23 UTC
Mikal

The Shark thing ignores his bait and charges him directly. His flaming sword slices deep into it's flesh right behind it's head, just a split second before it's teeth grab him around the midsection and clamp down like a vise. He grunts at the pressure, thankful for the protection of his leather armour, although he knows he has still taken a very bad blow, and that his armour is going to be worthless after this is over.

Presuming he survives of course.

That thought drives him to continue stabbing at the beast that has grabbed him. He has the ironic advantage now that it really can't avoid his blows while it continues to keep him trapped in it's maw.

A moment later a toothy shadow closes on the beast and it spits him out as the two entities thrash and fight each other until finally the fish thing lies still.

It is only then that the extent of his wounds catch up with him. The Morale spell and his own adrenaline finally running out.

He collapses, first to his knees, and then prone, face down in the bloody water.

(OOC - Wolf - Isn't that Lizard guarding the door still around?)
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 16:45 UTC
[[yup ... see the OOC notes ...]]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 17:33 UTC
Cesare

Winded, confused by the shark and the strange shadow who finish the battle, his first concern is for Mikal who falls face down in the water. Pushing himself off he pillar, he moves to the fighter's side and kneels in the water, turning him and propping him up against his own knees so that he can at least breathe.

Time to get his own breath back too.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 13/03/16 18:02 UTC
And bringing dydd, kadri rushes over to Mikal to offer what healing she can in her small way.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/03/16 11:48 UTC
Bekkah

She barely had enough time to roll over and attempt to pick herself up with as much dignity as possible and the fight was over. She witnessed the end of the fight and she glanced over at Kadri, eyebrows rising.

*Clearly far more to her than I'd thought.* she thinks.

She hadn't seen Mikal, getting bit, but she did see the large amount of blood in the water, and Mikal being helped up.

Some might think she hesitated going to his side out of cowardice, but she'd seen enough fighting to know that she was more of a liability if she got in the way of the fighters.

When it was clear the current threat was over, she moved next to Mikal, kneeling by his side. She was already thoroughly soaked so she didn't worry any further about her dignity.

"Thank you for keeping me from being it's breakfast." she said smiling as she examined the wound. She wanted to make sure that it was a normal wound and not something poisonous.

"It appears to be a regular wound. Quite painful I'm sure, but with my Lady's help, we should have you up and about again." she said giving him that dazzling smile of hers.

Quickly, the power flowed through her hands, momentarily creating light in the darkened room as it flowed from her hands into his body. The would knit quickly and in short order his leg was healed.

"You'll need to get someone else to fix your armor. Your britches, I could mend with time, but the leather is more than I am able to manage." she said standing and offering him a hand.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/03/16 13:27 UTC
Mikal

The coolness of the healing from Bekkah is, as always, a combination of soothing and jolting. He smiles in return and stands up.

"I think it might be time for me to see about getting something a little thicker." He indicates the torn leather. "Maybe something with a bit of metal in it. Besides, if I am going to lead a troop I need to look the part I suppose."

He pauses, then adds to Bekkah. "Now I had thought good Ladies of Attera did not stare at the holes in men's britches?" He chuckles.

He tests his leg, finding it good enough in a pinch to fight, but he knows he needs some time for natural healing to catch up.

Looking about and seeing no threat, other than the single lizard guarding the door he quirks an eyebrow at the others.

First he asks Dydd's father, "Now that your daughter is safe, perhaps it is time for you to tell us what is going on here? Why would fishermen want to kidnap the daughter of an innkeeper? It looked like she was to be sacrificed to that Shark thing, or that's my best guess, but why? What was that Shark thing and why would there be a shrine to it under your town?

He then glances at the others. "Well. We got what we came for", he nods towards Dydd. "We could go see what is so all fired important that our lizard friend refuses to budge from his door. Or we could count our blessings and leave."

He glances from face to face. He can go with either decision.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/03/16 13:41 UTC
Bekkah

Her friendly smile changed to an icy stare, her blue eyes seeming to freeze him in place.

"Mikal, I assume you are not suggesting what I think you're suggesting." she said with hands on hips, looking as scary as Dazi ever did.

Then, before he could do anything, the radiant smile was back as if it had never been gone. Clearly she wasn't really upset by the comment.

"Better armor would be an excellent idea."

When Dydd was brought nearer, she looked at her appraisingly.

"Are you hurt child?"
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 14/03/16 14:17 UTC
Kadri:

"I would be loathe to leave something potentially dangerous sitting right beneath the town. "
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 15/03/16 12:36 UTC
Cesare

"And what was that spiky dark thing that attacked the shark?"

He is still unsure of what it was or where it came from.

"And do we think we could take the last one in our current situation?"

He is sore but willing to join the others if that is what they want to do. He glances at Rory, also wanting to know more about why Dydd had been taken. Right now he is glad the girl is safe and he isn't sure that risking the group further is worth it.

"Maybe he should have a say? He has to carry on living here afterwards."

But he glances at the door, curious to know what lies beyond it.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 15/03/16 12:50 UTC
Kadri:

"Whatever one might say it was - it does seem it's only interest was that beast and then it was gone, to bother us no more, yes? Had it interest in harming us it would have taken on Mikal while he was down, ne?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 17/03/16 22:34 UTC
Mikal

As he waits for the innkeeper to answer his question he looks at his companions. "It is possible we might take him down with our crossbows from here, especially if he will not leave the door, though I suspect he will charge us once he takes a few bolts."

"And after our battles, I think we can take on 1 lizard between us. However I do not know if any of us have any healing left, in case it gets lucky." He looks around at each of them.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 18/03/16 13:59 UTC
Cesare

"I have one heal left, enough to stop bleeding."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 20/03/16 13:06 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

“Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

With Kadri breaking to splash to Mikal’s aid, even with the best intentions it was easy for the little girl to break free and wade as best she could to her father. Who, in turn, almost ducked the lamp he was carrying into the bloodied water when he bent down to gather up his little one. The rest of the party was completely ignored as he collected his daughter tight, whispered Foresttalk to calm her and make sure she was well.

“I was so so so so scared and ah though ah’d never ever go ‘ome … I wanna go ‘ome Fa, please, please can we go home ..I just wanna go home … ja … ja ... please? ”

Rory just looked back a the bedraggled group of adventurers, deep beneath Talesan’s Village – it felt as if the quiet of farmer’s fields were a forever away.

“Can we go home now?”

It was a simple question, asked first. He turned his daughter to him, tucking her close and tight beneath his arm, as the others took to the matters of healing. That was a task that did not take long, especially with the soft white sunshine of Lady Aterra starbursting through shadowed halls. Soon all were able to stand again, whole enough to contemplate the fate of the last lizard-thing, to debate the costs and consequences of this hidden, secretive chapel.

The last lizard-thing stayed put; remaining at his post, directly in front of his out of the way door.

“Do I look like a fisherman?”

That was Rory's first answer, to Mikal, as he held his daughter tight. They were hard words, as if now, with his daughter mostly safe, he could now dare to think of other things.

“We would never have built such a dark place, we would never sacrifice to a Beast! We are good Imperial Citizens and even if some of us have not forgotten the old ways, Risha is a kind one; she is the Protector of lambs and wheat and children!”

“Why my Dyddplentyn? I don’t know! Maybe because she was an easy sacrifice! Maybe because we’ve brought her up to believe that people are good! Even Abominations, creatures so foul and pitiful they all ready are damned so darkly it is just cruel to mistreat them more.

"And they took advantage of that ..."

“People are good. Maybe that was a mistake.”

Rory paused.

“Behttah … apologies… I am indebted to you; I shall never be able to pay you back for what you have done this day, for saving my Dydd.”

“… danks …”

The Farmer shook his head.

“Why? I don’t know. Maybe this is the secret of their recent prosperity …

“But nothing comes without a cost. Why should they have to pay themselves when they can prey on others?

“That’s what sharks do, don’t they?”

Rory closed his eyes for a long set of heartbeats. When he opened them, his gaze was fixed. It was a Father Wolf’s gaze.

“Nothing comes without a cost.

"They must pay.

“Let justice be done though the heavens fall.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 24/03/16 17:17 UTC
Bekkah

She nodded when Rory thanked her.

"I'm glad she's safe. No child should ever be involved in something like this. I don't understand how this could have ever come this far."

She looked to the lone lizard and motioned towards it.

"I doubt we can ask him to leave, I suppose we can try, but I do not want to leave without checking out what is behind that door. There may be other children who have been taken that we don't know about. We must see this fully through." she said with conviction.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 24/03/16 17:37 UTC
Kadri:

"Though the Heaven's fall, justice be done -
Evil must know its course has been run.
Let shadow consume darkness and fear -
By shadow let the light now appear -
Let these 'predators' become hunted,
Let the deer return arrow -
Let these 'predators' feel fear -
Deep down in their marrow."

She looks up and drops out of her sing song.

"Sometimes, justice needs a small hand, yes?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 24/03/16 22:26 UTC
Mikal

Feeling a bit better the longer he gets to catch his breath, he nods at Bekkah. "Alright. Take Dydd and her father back down the passage a bit so they're out of danger. Cesare and I will pepper him with bolts from here. If we're lucky he won't get a chance to hurt anyone else. We can then look and see what is there."

He looks at Kadri. "If you wish to stay and help, you'd be welcome. Just don't get between it and me if it charges."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 24/03/16 23:01 UTC
Kadri:

"If I wish to stay and help? Mikal, you know me better than that. If? I think, perhaps, I wait until he tries to charge in the shadow and then charge in from behind once he passes?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 25/03/16 15:40 UTC
Mikal

He grins at her, having expected that answer. He simply nods at her suggestion as it makes the most sense.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Fri 25/03/16 16:17 UTC
Cesare

He nods to the others, reminding himself to retrieve his bolts once this is done. He choose a good middle distance for his bolts and waits for Mikal to settle his place. Then he takes a step back and to the side so that Mikal will be in the best position to take the charge should there be one.

Then he is ready. He just waits for Mikal's signal.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/03/16 14:42 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah, Rory and Dyddplentyn

In the darkness, Kadri’s words spoke of a vengeful future. One that would certainly turn deer into wolves and the prey into predators.

For which, like a sudden sharp breeze, her head painfully snapped forward, pushing her forward and almost stumbling her to her knees. It was almost like, no it was exactly like, someone had just soundly slapped her on the back of her head. Of course, no one was behind her except the shadows cast by the various candle lanterns.

While his was happening, Mikal and Cesare set themselves up for their attack. They found a spot, between two columns, that met their requirements and once again unlimbering their crossbows they loaded them and took aim.

The lizard-thing had a look like he may have actually had a thought. And that thought was that it was not going to be a good day.

Aiming was easy, all the lizard-thing did was brandish its sword-thing and growled fiercely.

But since it didn’t move it was an easy hit. Both quarrels slamming soundly into it’s chest. In pain it roared and moved to charge!

And then blinked.

It took two steps back and guarded its door.

It wasn’t like a real fight. It was something lacking justice or mercy. Six quarrels later and it was face first in the water, just jerking every now and then.

It was, indeed, very stupid.

It took a little longer to open its door.

Beyond was a smaller chamber. At first look it seemed to be a cache of fishing supplies; nets, gaffs, rope and on the wall a set of very very cruel looking flensing knives. But there were also three chests. They were smallish; perhaps half an arm’s width broad and wide. All it took was a smash from the pommel of Mikal’s darksteel sword to knock off the simple padlocks.

Inside there were coins … coins of copper, silver and even gold – pennies, half crowns and crowns. At the least several thousand worth, enough to buy a horse, perhaps even two. Definitely two if you included the pearls and jewelry that accompanied the coins.

As well as a single, long and slender spiral horn.

It seems worshipping a shark god and claiming the bounty of the bay was a fairly lucrative religion.

Bloody, but chaos seems to pay well.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/03/16 14:47 UTC
Ceasre

He whistles between his teeth.

"Never had thought we'd find riches down here. Makes you wonder what else these fisher-folk have been up to."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/03/16 16:14 UTC
Mikal

He frowns as they kill the lizard. On the one hand it is the best situation, no risk and all gain. On the other, there is just something unsettling about killing something that won't fight back.

Entering the room and breaking open the locks on the chest he whistles lightly. The chests are small enough to take with them, and unless this money was stolen from the townsfolk he sees no reason why it is not theirs to keep.

**Well, no more worries about training Talia as a warhorse. There's enough money here to buy a warhorse.**

He glances at Kadri. "This would be a good start at getting the Troop setup. Hiring whoever we need. Even paying a bonus for good candidates."

He reaches in and picks up the horn. "This is interesting."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 27/03/16 21:51 UTC
Kadri:

She looks at the horn with curiosity.

"I know, Mikal. It sits not well either. But I doubt not that reversed there would be no mercy to be found in this one's dull eyes. I would also say that if these monies were paid as bounty to a deity which would have the sacrifice of children, then it is forfeit from its original owners. I think, in the end, there may need to be a confrontation of sorts with the fisher-folk if this ..."

She motions.

"Was their idea of acceptable. I think I can locate the warehouse where that ladder went. Perhaps further investigation?"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 03/04/16 13:04 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Rory had little interest in the coins, pearls or other odd tidbits, firhis reassure was tucked beneath his free arm. Ddydd held so very very tight, only peeking out every now and then… as if she had finally realized that she had indeed been rescued and was afraid of what might happen next.

“Isn’t it time to be going?”

In some manner, Rory was entirely correct. While the only thing accompanying them, staining the black water even darker were the corpses. Those lizard-things … what were they called, anyways … they had lain and one young human man.

One human.

Who probably had a reason for being there and a family in the town above. Who would eventually be missing him. That and time was impossible to tell down here; one could not see the sun and mark Her place in the sky. The only clue they had were the candles in the lanterns. And they were under half the size they were when they entered these carven halls; a fair amount of time had past. It was most certainly past midday and if it was past lunch eventually the tide would sweep in and the fishing fleet would return.

To both their village and their shrine.

The horn Mikal held was indeed familiar.

It was long enough to serve as a lance, pretty enough to take one’s breath away. But it felt old, it felt empty, it felt like a bone that had be removed from a grave. In terms of value it was probably invaluable – those who dealt in magical compounds would probably sell their grandmother just to sift it through their potions and concoctions.

Aye, it was a unicorn’s horn.

A black unicorn’s horn.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 03/04/16 15:02 UTC
Cesare

"Aye, time we returned, if the sea doesn't block the way."

He nods to Rory and Dydd, adding a smile before turning to Mikal and Kadri.

"A chest each then?"

It might be a struggle carrying these but he has no desire to return here again.

"And what of the lad's body?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 03/04/16 15:11 UTC
Mikal

As the question was being asked, Mikal was already half-way to the boy. Reaching him, he hefts the limp weight over one shoulder. On the way, he stops and decapitates one of the dead lizards, tossing the head into a sack.

**Somebody might question their honesty when the tale is told.**

He then moves back to the group and nods. "We'll take the boy. No matter what he's done his family should have his body."

He glances at Rory. "We need to inform your town elders of what has occurred under their noses. It is up to them to decide what to do, and while I know what my choice would be, it is not my choice to make here."

He pauses. "And we need to inform Daxia. She was always best at figuring out all of this political crap and weighing the impacts of actions on future events."
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Wed 06/04/16 18:57 UTC
Bekkah

"I agree that we need to return the body, but I am not so sure about informing the town elders. What we've already done should stop this activity, and if we're right, the fishing will suddenly take a turn for the worse. That in itself is going to cause a problem. Taking it to the elders would turn this into a civil war with the tensions as they are."

"I suggest we return before we're trapped here and then see how this plays out." she said calmly.

She looked at each of them including Rory and Dydd as she spoke.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Thu 07/04/16 14:54 UTC
Mikal

He glances meaningfully at Rory. "I think we must, Bekkah. Not only is it our duty to let them know what is going on in their town, but the only chance for a peaceful resolution to this is for the Town Council to work it out."

Rory already as much as stated that he planned to gather the farmers and take retribution on the fisher folk. That would certainly start a civil war in the town. It is mostly to head that off that Mikal is talking about informing the council.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sat 09/04/16 15:57 UTC
Cesare

He is not that interested in the right thing to do or the local politics, these are things that he hopes the Fates allow him to drift past. He knows though that is is important to Mikal and Daxia, especially if they are going to base themselves in this area.

He'll do what he is asked.

Meanwhile he hefts the most valuable chest into his arms to carry it back.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 10/04/16 12:33 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Chains.

There were chains hanging on he wall of the shrine, back behind them. The ones from which Dyddplentyn had been hung. The one that had held her without any care for right or wrong. I was their duty to bind their prisoners so of course you could not blame them … they were just following the normal course of things.

There was only on who could truly appreciate that.

The one who rides the waves of the world, wherever the Fate may drift him. The Rhoni, Cesare. His people traveled both sides of the Black Mountains, they had seen both people, had walked next to both Imperial Nobles and the Princes of Kh’lhy’ra. And thu he was well associated with the differences between the two people.

The Gods of the East and the Gods of the Empire may play opposite sides of Horse and Castles, one with red pieces and one with black. But the red, the black did not represent the sides that on might hope, that would make this an easy decision.

They did not represent Good and Evil.

They represented Chaos and Law.

The East was dangerous because it was impossible to predict what they would do in any particular situation. The Imperials were equally dangerous in that given any particular situation they were bound to a single reaction, like they were bound by chains, they had no other choice.

It was the Law.

The Rhoni rode the currents between the two. Jvrillians followed the Pragmatic path. The Lady of Shadows lived by the Rules of Humor. Of all the Imperials only Bekkah was not so rigidly bound, not because hers was the goddess of healing but that she was the goddess of Mercy.

Rory was farmer folks. He was a simple person. He listened to the words go back and forth, confused. How this could be a problem was beyond him, but even so, come the sunset there was only one thing that mattered.

“I just want my daughter safe.”

Their treasures, their loot, their reward gathered, it was a slow return back down the unlit corridors. Happily there were no currents, so the bodies to the first passle of lizard-things gave fair warning of the hidden pit.

That took a bit to cross, with both a child and chests of coin as burdens.

When they reached the double doors, the sunlight almost blinded them; they had spent too much time in dim, haunted light. They were still standing on the terrace, the metal door still open behind them, when their eyes finally adjusted to the day.

It was late; the sun was already upon Her descent.

The bits of colors out across the bay – sails – meant that the fishing fleet would soon make port.

And just a little bit later, the tide would come in.

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/04/16 13:29 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

The bits of colors out across the bay – sails – meant that the fishing fleet would soon make port.

And just a little bit later, the tide would come in.

The little group still clustered on the Ancient terrace, that narrow band of stone with the salty water’s edge so close. Like deer, perhaps, having seen a bear, unsure of which way to turn.

Which was often fatal to the deer.

“… danks … danks … I cannot say that enough. I need to get us home.”

Rory seemed the only one with determination; to get his daughter as far from this place as possible and had already bundled her close and was headed for the cliffside stairs. Without interruption he and Dydd would be up the stairs and heading back to the farmer’s town ahead of them.

Out on the bay the fishing fleet was getting closer. Close enough for both sails and hull to slowly gain definition; soon they’d be able to see the crew on deck.

Which would mean, of course, that then, they could be seen too.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 17/04/16 15:21 UTC
Mikal

"Close the door and lets get out of here. I am not in any shape to take on even a bunch of angry fishermen right now. We'll find Daxia and tell the Town Leaders and get some rest."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 18/04/16 11:50 UTC
Cesare

"Sounds good to me."

He is not overly worried about the fisherman. What will be, will be. Generally he does what makes him comfortable with himself.. and lives with it whatever that brings. Besides he cannot believe they are all part of it. Probably just a few, an underground cult, literally. At least it is a comforting thought to take with him up the cliff journey.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 19/04/16 14:43 UTC
KAdri:

"... I agree with Mikal. Lets get out of sight before we figure out what to do."

She looks at Rory.

"For the moment, you might want to keep yourself and your daughter out of larger public view until we figure out how the fisherfolk will react to the interruption of their rituals."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 24/04/16 14:01 UTC
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Climbing the cliffs was more than a little task. While there were steps, there were many of them and each one was an upwards effort. This time they carried more than just heir clothes and gear; they carried the loot from the chapel and a little girl; one who had fallen asleep a her father carried her.

It was unimaginable, what that little girl had been through. To be stolen by strangers who were supposed to be neighbors and then bound to a wall in the company of monsters.

They reached the top of the stairs, that terminus mostly hidden by the rocks at the top. Between the fishing boats inbound sailing, the height of the cliffs and a little bit of walking it was a fairly easy task to get beyond the fishing crew's line of sight.

Then it was decision time.

Rory looked to the little group and repeated his thanks.

“I need to get Dydd home. Her mother is probably worried half to death …”

The farmer looked to Kadri, nodding once.

"If you say so …. I’ll just tell Ari we found her and hats what’s important. If you think that’s best.

“Denks …”

And with that he turned towards the east and walking along the hedgerows started he way back to his inn.

That left their own destinations to be deteremined. The village elders – did that mean the Larsens up in their keep? That would mean walking down through fishertown, over the bridge and then up the path where their home overlooked bay and village.

Did it mean the elders of Farmertown? They would be working their fields in the afternoon. That said, they would, most assuredly, collect at the Amber Inn around dinnertime.

Did it mean the Imperials? Kevin and his Squires had been summoned to the Village’s most eastern manor. Romana and Kay had been sent that way to provide him aid.

The Brother and the Priestess? The Brother was probably deep in the Cathedral archives, wherever they were, along with Daxia and Kisa. The problem, of course, being that until they surfaced, finding them would be difficult. It could be a long wait or them to come out on their own accord; knowing Daxia, Kisa and any Eye of Hastur left to their on devices in a room full of books.

That left the Priest and his Priestess. One would probably be gardening, the other on her rounds. The Priestess was a sensible person ... the Priest talked to his plants.

Which begged the question.

Who exactly were they wishing to seek out … and where would they look for them?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 24/04/16 18:41 UTC
Cesare

He looks at the others.

"I ain't one for dealing with authorities, generally avoid them where I can.. but I can do whatever you want me to. That said, I'd like to get this chest somewhere safe, out of sight afore we do anything else."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Sun 24/04/16 21:38 UTC
Mikal

He nods. "Agreed. Any ideas on where to keep it? The Larsen's is probably safest. Tell them it is the property of Kadri and the Khoral's son back in Talantal and ask them to hold it I doubt it'd disappear. Might need to pack it onto a horse and cover it with a tarp before traipsing it through fisher-town though."

"After that, probably talk to the Priestess."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/04/16 10:42 UTC
Cesare

"I bow to your judgement, just don't want to carry it any longer than I have to."

He hoists it a little higher into a more comfortable position but grins to show he is still all right with it for the time being.

"This whole situation could turn nasty. Not good if you intend to stay around here."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/04/16 13:22 UTC
Mikal

"Just long enough to recruit and get a base setup at the edge of the woods near Waverider's Watch." He replies. "Let's go to the stable and load this on a horse and bring it to Larsen's."
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Mon 25/04/16 15:02 UTC
Kadri:

She tilts her head.

"Nastier than baiting large amoral merchant consortiums, demons, eastern hunting beasts and ancient evils from the east, and baiting vipers in the pit of politics known as Grand Talantal? I think running headlong into nasty is our stock in trade at this point."

She winks.

"Dance between the raindrops and try not to get wet."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: HWD: Under the Docks - Tue 26/04/16 11:26 UTC
Cesare

He chuckles.

"Don't think my dancing is as dainty as yours. But the rest I agree with. OK stables it is."

He quickens his pace a bit as his legs are probably going to hold out longer than his arms.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post