DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Wolf HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 19/11/14 02:21 UTC
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Morning, Rameday, the First of Fate

Bekkah, Kadri and Mikal

Morning came to Talantal. For some unknown reason dawn always came a bit too early for everybody the day after Midsummer’s – especially those who chose not to sleep that night. For many it was the time to pull the covers back over one’s head, for another it was discovering that a bar room table made an uncomfortable bed, for another it was a mad scramble home to wake up in the right bed.

For Bekkah it was walking through the highest gate and through the cloisters arcade, to be met by Priestess Jasmine’s hard stare and fingers drumming over crossed arms, the exact same look any mother would give a younger child when they had finally decided to come home well after their curfew.

“You know … you were supposed to set a proper example for those two initiates …”

Jasmine then nodded towards one cell, where a small figure leaned back against the closed door, knees drawn up, arms wrapped around a tall spear. Kay was obviously asleep – with Bekkah’s apprentice safe in her cell.

“And what are we going to do about that. We sent a Squire to dislodge her and she GROWLED at him."

For Kadri and Mikal it was quite different. It was to a warm room, comfortable blankets and the scent of cinnamon and bread. When they finally awoke it was in Dominic and Kadri’s rooms in his tower of the keep. A few spirals of the stairs down Daxia and Kisa had finally found their rest, after dancing and walking and library perusals. They would soon find a similar breakfast awaiting them, however the young Master’s wife, of course, comes first. Bread and cinnamon pastries, apples and pears, a melon too was the morning fare.

There would be cheese too. But pieces would mysteriously disappear.

As the two ate, Kathi drew herself up and folded her arms behind her.
‘The Kierkegaard household will be leaving at noon; they are currently making ready in the main court, thus if you have business with them you’d best start with it early, Your family will be taking their leave on the morrow; however as they will leave at first light, again making today your last chance to parlay with them.

“Lord Tray’s investiture has been scheduled on the next Rameday, to allow for matters to be settled and the transition smooth. As he will be reviewing ledgers over the next few days, he has said he would appreciate an interruption every now and then. Miss Mouse usually provides his evening interruptions, so I would recommend morning or just after lunch.”
Kadri:

She had awoken early and dressed in a manner that, while still appropriate enough, was not nearly so fancy as the previous day's getup.

"Very well, Kathi."

She pauses, eating inbetween sentences.

"I think I will see to my business with Rikart first, then perhaps interrupt just after lunch, so that Tray is actually doing something for me to interrupt him from. I will deal lastly with my family - especially my sister - somewhere inbetween, as the time allows - either after I see Rikart or after I see Tray. "

She tilts her head and looks to Mikal.

"I apologize in advance for dragging you along to personal business, if you do indeed come - although I suspect I will be quite safe in the presence of my family and of Kierkegard - that decision of safety is, of course, up to you. I will not be sneaking out like a recalcitrant little girl."

She grins and winks his way.

Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 19/11/14 13:38 UTC
Bekkah

She did not feel remorse for her actions so the admonishments of Lady Jasmine did not make her lower her eyes in shame.

"Her and the other two worked very hard yesterday. They more than earned the right to enjoy Midsummer's. No harm came to anyone. Most definitely the opposite in fact. I think you'll find the people of the city, the real people love our Lady's followers more than ever."

"As for Romana, I will take her to her room and get her ready for the day." she said with a nod of her head before heading to Romana and Kay.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 19/11/14 14:51 UTC
Mikal

"Oh, I will tag along, I think. Besides the fact that I am bound to do so by our agreement, it is more likely that you will face danger from a relative than from a stranger. " He winks back.
Kadri

"Very well, oh persistent one."

She offers a head nod.

"I bow to your wise council."

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 23/11/14 17:50 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Kathi smiled.

“Then they await you in the Keep’s fore court. It is a long ride back to Highgaard I have been told.”

Kathi had spoken true. In the broad and open courtyard between the Keep proper and the highest of the Talantal’s gates the Kierkegaard household were making their preparations to return home. Horses were being saddled, others hitched to sturdy wagons, the honor guard adjusting their banners and the mantling of their horses.

In the midst of all this the Elder Kierkegaard marked a silent watch. He held in his hands the reins of his mount a tall and calm stallion that seemed a cross between the rugged winter horses found in the Black Mountains and the finest of Amber plains runners.
Obviously the two Noble Families have been toying with bloodlines for generations.

Khorall Kristof Kierkegaard watched as Kadri and Mikal approached, a hand on the strong neck of his horse. His son was a bit distracted, saddling his on horse, next to his father’s. It was equally obvious that the Khorall noted they were coming straight for the two of them.

“So …

“To what do we owe this pleasant morning audience, Dama Korie?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 23/11/14 17:51 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

Actually, Romana is already in her room at the cloisters - that room, that door is the one Kay is … protecting.

The Talantal priestess continued, just for a bit,

“As for that … you have tossed a rock into a well managed, quiet and serene mill pond, annoyed the Knights and both our adepts and the squires are asking questions that have no good answer.

“Yes. I have heard, how could I not. The First Ring’s pet Aterran.

“Let me ask you this. What is going to happen the first time someone dies in her care? It will happen, it’s just a matter of time. Will they still love her … or will they point to her white hair and inhuman ears and say that’s the reason why?”

Jasmine crossed her arms.

“That’s the one thing Anastasia taught m that stuck. That the decisions e make have consequences. Have you really thought this out?”

The High Priestess watched as Bekkah turned and walked away. When she was three steps from the Romana’s room Kay stirred, the time between Highside Heather and here not enough to dull years on watch. One eye opened, noted who approached and only then did the short Dayalan lifted her head. She rested it back against the wooden door, looking up to Bekkah through rest-worn and twisted bangs.

“She’s finally asleep.

“Ya know.

“It’s kind o’ nice figurin’ out where ya belong.

“Ah’ll neva’ be ah Hero.

“But Ah think Ah’ll make ah fair guard.”
Kadri:

"Beautiful animal."

She says quietly, looking at it.

"I can see the mark of Amber in its lines. An intriguing combination, both rugged and fast. As for the meeting - I had the desire to meet the one who would marry my sister - and to also offer some explanations for some events that may have occurred long ago."

She offers a formal bow of respect to the elder Kierkegaard and then to his son also.,

Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 24/11/14 13:23 UTC
Bekkah

She held Lady Jasmine's gaze with her own. She could act as regal as anyone when necessary.

"I think you still believe she is doing this as some kind of game or stunt. I assure you, she has embraced our Lady. And because of that, our Lady will look after her, as she does for all of us."

"And I ask you this Lady Jasmine. Perhaps someday it will happen as you suggest and perhaps some might turn on her. Do you not think that goodwill built up before that happens will not help her? Some may forget and turn on her. Some won't. But regardless, our Lady will see to her safety. I trust in her."

She had started walking away, before she turned to face Jasmine again. This time her voice had the tone of one issuing the lecture, not receiving it.

"Our Lady's gifts were not to be saved solely for those of noble birth. We are to help all. It seems in the bigger cities, that lesson has been forgotten." she said before turning to fetch Romana.

She smiled at Kay.

"I believe that you will indeed. And yes, finding one's purpose makes one feel like a great weight has been lifted from you. Yesterday was a grand day for many of us."

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sat 29/11/14 19:03 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

“Our Lady is kind and merciful. Sometimes to the detriment of those who serve her to their fullest. I trust our Lady too, Lady Yurisdotter.

“But just as it is a real world beyond the city walls, it is also a very real world here inside the walls.

“Where Nobles and the less Noble must somehow live togther.”

Talantal’s High Priestess turned on her heel, to return to her cathedral.

“Your apprentice seems to have captured some hearts on a Midsummer’s day. Lets see if your words are true, and she can continue to do so when the days become longer and harder.

“I shall find a proper Squire to make sure they …”

And that was when Kay spoke up.

“She gots me. I’ll even watch over the twins for you.”

She offered the Priestess a wry grin, leaning her head against her spear. Bekkah actually recognized the grin. It was a Koromov smile, she had seen the Captain use the exact same one.

“Deal with it.”

Jasmine took her leave. Looking up, Kay offered up what she had denied priestesses, squires and knights. She squooshed aside, to let Bekkah into her apprentice’s room.

And the young guard had spoken true. Romana was there, and was asleep. She looked as if she had just fallen on the bed in exhaustion, a sprawl of slender easterner. Someone had taken off her boots and belt, and even managed to untangle her surcoat. They were set at the end of the bed. A pillow had been awkwardly tucked under white tresses and a blanket lain over her.

Romana actually looked quite peaceful, and even harmless, when fast asleep.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sat 29/11/14 19:03 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Well he is standing right there.”

Rikart turned as his Father spoke, drew himself up and gave both Kadri and Mikal a very proper nod. He simply wrapped the reins of his horse over the front of his saddle and when he stood quiet – so did his mount. A very properly behaved horse.

“So. Here I am.”

The young Lord smiled.

“No fangs. No wings. No claws, talons or scales.

“Just a bloke who works with horses. “
Kadri;

She looks at him a moment.

"M'lud '.

She curtsies.

"Still quite handsome, although I only caught a glimpse through the door the first time. I think big sister will quite like you - although I hope for your sake you have a lively sense of humor."

She tilts her head to one side for the moment in thought, but does not yet continue.

Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 30/11/14 17:10 UTC
Mikal

He stands near Kadri, but a step behind and to the left, watching the courtyard and peripherally watching the alleys and doorways. He listens to the conversation she is having with one ear. There is something he'd like her to ask, but he can wait until she is done. **Perhaps she will ask on her own?**
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 03/12/14 18:49 UTC
Bekkah

She decided to let Lady Jasmine have the last word simply nodding when she was finished. She watched her go for a moment, wondering if things really had to be as complicated as she made it seem.

Turning to Kay, she smiled down at Romana's protector.

"I'll hold you to that. I think the twins may have learned a thing or two yesterday and may well want to go back to the poorer sections regularly."

She reached down to gently shake Romana awake.

"Romana, time to rise for the day." she said hoping she wouldn't startle her too badly.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 07/12/14 15:05 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

“ … aaaayyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!”

It is an immediate start, a sudden fast movement, and instinctively, reflexively, Romana ooshed herself away, bundling her bedding about her in a protective cocoon. She tucked herself in the farthest corner of the bed and then two things happened.

Bekkah found herself with a rather grim looking Dayalan at her side.

And, after a panicked heartbeat or two, a pair of wide blue eyes peeked out from the tumble of bedding.

“She don’t like bein’ touched … at least that’s what me teacher says, ja? I guess being surprised is right out …

“Hey whitehair, think I’d let anyone not nice by?”

Romana looked between Kay and Bekkah, blinking once, twice and then thrice. She ducked beneath the covers again, offering a very apologetic

“ … Romanas ….

“ … all so new. Romanas had guards all her life …”

The bundle of blankets shivered.

“Never protector. “

Slowly she poked her head back out, her head tilting a bit.

“Ask Dazi-dazi? Tell Her to go back too sleep? Too earlies to be mornings …”

Bekkah’s Initiate sighed, a touch princess like. But then she smiled and asked hopefully,

“Romanas go back again?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 07/12/14 15:06 UTC

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Rikart looked down upon the shorter Kadri, which, in itself, was not too surprising except that they did grow their Lords tall in the Black Mountains. They also grew them a touch honest, or at least that was how his smile felt.

“Actually, I believe it is the youngest Korie who has found himself with the mischievous sister, not to take anything away from your elder.

“But that, I suppose, that is what this visit is supposed to be for; to see if we may actually end up liking each other. She might discover I am the one with a sense of humor or a taste of adventure.

“At the least, she might discover that our mountains and pine forests are, at the least, a match for your plains and fields of grass.”

The young lordling looked past her, then, to note Mikal’s stance.

“We are quite safe in the Korie courtyard – not to mention next to a Khorall and beneath his honor guard’s watch – so are you pensive by duty or do you have your own unanswered questions?”
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 07/12/14 16:13 UTC
Mikal

"It is when you feel most safe that you are in the most danger", he says with a quirk of the corner of his lips. "Because you relax your guard."

He turns to look at Kadri as he feels that what they have recently discussed should really come from her, but he can introduce it perhaps?

"My Lady was discussing with me the need to train a large number of quality horses and riders. So naturally our thoughts turned to House Kierkegaard."
Kadri:

She looks to rikart.

"I just wish you to understand that one night, long ago, I was not ready to marry to anyone and there was no fault of yours - and from all I hear and see you are a good and honorable man. And in a different world where I were not who I was..."

"And if you treat well my sister dear - "

She grins and winks.

"Then I will not have to come after you."

She nods after Mikal.

"I trust this man implicitly with my safety. Besides, I am afraid my newest sister from among the Kories is perhaps none to fond of me and my ... poetry ... regarding her brother and familial relations in general. I am none too fond of bullies ... and perhaps from time to time my words with them may be impolitic. However sometimes things just must be said."

As to the matter of horses ... It was as said by Mikal, I mean to acquire some of the finest horses in the land from the land of my birth, and it would be ideal that they be trained by the best horse trainers in the land. If I were to want to look into this possibility - who would it be best for me to talk to?"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 07/12/14 22:05 UTC
Rikart Kierkegaard

"It would not be the first time we have done so; most of the Heavy Horse were trained at the Castle and the Bordertown Guard. The best, of course, is if you have both the men and the mounts to be trained together."

The lordling's brow knitted a bit,

"Some folks go elsewhere ... and we must admit we are not sure why."

He'd then smile to Kadri,

"A trustable man is worth more than all the mainland crowns ...

"As for an untrustable sister-in-law?

"I'd recommend a long and distant honeymoon."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 07/12/14 23:05 UTC
Mikal

"We won't be training them as Heavy Horse. I have some..., different ideas in mind. I do expect we'll have the men and horses together. Is there anyone among your trainers you'd recommend? Someone open to new ideas? I'd like to train them privately, away from prying eyes. Perhaps someone who is willing to travel?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 08/12/14 20:51 UTC
Bekkah

She couldn't help but smile at the white haired initiate.

"Perhaps we can go back, but for now you have to get up. We will get you used to seeing Her rising. It does a person good to be up when her people rise. Most of those you helped last night are up already."

"So up you get and we'll go find something to eat. Perhaps they have muffins, but I make no promises."

"And as an initiate, you answer to our Lady as well as other priestesses. It does not matter if you or your protector do not like them. Someday you will stand with them and be able to make your own choices. We are not above others. Always remember that." she said looking at both of them.
Kadri:

"I have some activities in mind regarding the completion of unfinished business."

She smiles.

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 14/12/14 16:36 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

At Bekkah's words her initiate looked down, looked down as she slowly sat up, tucking her feet beneath her as she blinked her way into being a little more awake.

"Its ... its ... not thats."

Romana slowly looked up.

"Romanas helps ... everyones and everybodies ... romanas understands. Romanas no hurt anyones ...

"Father hurt Romanas ...

'Still ... still scars. Maybe Lady heal. Maybe not. Romana not ask ... help others, yes? Then, maybe, hurt will go aways."

"Romanas tired of hurts. Wants to heal.

"Surprises. Not good."

Next to Bekkah, leaning on the cell's door frame, Kay simply shrugged her shoulders.

"I answer to a different Her, your Bekkahship."

The small Dayalan held her battered spear close, offering Bekkah a veteran's smile.

"Who already thinks I am nuts for protecting his one. Worrying about inexperienced Squares, officious Knights and suspicious like Ladies somehow donnae hold a candle against that, ja?"

Romana then looked between the two, Dayalan and Atteran - having use the brief distracting conversation to pull a white tunic over her head - and offered up a single, hopeful word.

"Muffles?"

And indeed, there wer muffles ... er ... muffins. One of the benefits of being the Talantal Cathedral was that the Korie kitchens were at their beck and call, guaranteeing hot pastries and cheese and apples for the morning's repast. There was a brief kerfluffle before entering the lady's meeting hall, where breakfast was served. For it seemed to be a more private place; a place where squires and Knights were not allowed - for while things were never improper, they could be more comfortable.

'What? You want me to prove I'm a girl?"

Kay's challenge ended the disagreement, and she was allowed to follow Bekkah and Romana inside, much to the chagrin of the other guardians.

Kay chose an apple for her breakfast. Romana lost herself in a blueberry muffin.

After a while, and a bit of consternation, and the tugging of one twin to the other, Marcy and Darcy joined them.

" ... don't care. We learned so much more yesterday than in any other lessons. We actually helped instead of watching ..."

That was Macy, of course.

Finally the eldest of the Temple came and sat next to Bekkah.

The older Priestess smiled, while at the other ed of the room Lady jasmine just crossed her arms and looked over the exchange.

"So Lady Yurisdotter ... what do you plan to teach your Initiates today?"

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 14/12/14 16:59 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

To the latter, Rikart Kierkegaard shook his head, looking to his father and receiving a nod in return.

"On one hand we would have to say no. Horse training - especially training for the melee or being in a fight - is not something hat is normally done in the field. There' a strict regimen of instructor, horse and rider that needs the support of stables, stable hands, and pells.

"On the other hand, where we do most of our training is deep in the Black Mountains; where there are farms hidden in the valleys off the main road; those places are quite remote from those who might be watching.

"The best way to not be watched is to not garner attention - if spending time in the Kierkegaard lands is something that you would normally do, folks won't give it a second thought.

"Like visiting relatives."

The lordling then returned to packing his mount - or mounts, actually.

"Would I be wrong in thinking, however, that this would be the fourth or fifth step in your plans?

"Kierkegaard isn't going anywhere, and once our loyalties are set, they do not change.

"What might be better is to start on the first step ... first. Determine what you need to do to start along this path.

'And do it."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 14/12/14 17:20 UTC
Mikal

He nods. "Indeed, fourth or fifth step. And I expect it will take some time. Will need to send the men and the horses in small groups and then they will need a place to stay." He glances at Kadri.
Kadri:

"She glances back.

"I am not in possession of vast tracts of land."

She pauses a moment.

"At least I don't think I am."

She pauses again.

"Actually, I don't know if I am, tell the truth."
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 15/12/14 19:29 UTC
Bekkah

She felt for Romanas and felt a desire to give her a hug. She sat down on the bed and put an arm around her, pulling her closer to give her a kiss on the head.

"And we shall do just that. Easing the pain of others. I find no greater joy." she said with a smile, letting go of her.

"And yes, I'm certain there will be muffins. The cooks here are reputed to be quite good. But if you want a warm one, then you best be getting up." she said with a kind smile.

She too enjoyed a muffin with a cup of tea. She greeted Marcy and Darcy with a smile. Before she could properly greet them, the elderly Atteran sat down beside her. She also noticed Lady Jasmine, but ignored her.

"I had no plans yet today. Do you know of some that could use our Lady's blessing?"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sat 20/12/14 22:14 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

"...khhhhhyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... eee ... eee ... eee .... eeeeeeeek ..."

It was not a playful cry, it was not an angry cry, it was a cry that definitely had a Dayalan take a step into the room with sharp black eyes and without the benefit of deep set cultural traditions against harming those of Lady Attera.

Romana actually cringed, an instinctive beat-into-her reflex. kay took a hard step forward and then stopped, the sound of her foot echoing in the small room - and it was only friendship and the fact that bekkah was her mentor's sister that stayed her hand.

"You ..."

The white haired girl's protector harshly barked out, caught her breath, and then consciously softened her words.

"You are scaring her."

Romana looked back, for a moment, and it was indeed fear Bekkah saw in her eyes, fear of being touched, fear of being so close - it was somewhat like ... no exactly like ... an old old wound being torn open. Her head immediately ducked and fell as she curled up about herself, and when let go only then looked back and whispered a broken,

" ... appy ... appy ... appy-o-logies ... "

It should not had been a surprise ... remembering, Romana had been uncomfortable with the children's attention - that must have been balanced by something else ... a deeper than usual belief that children should not be hurt. That and she fell asleep on Kay's shoulder ... not the other way around.

Some wounds, it seemed, could not be cured with a spell.

Lady Anastasia folded her hands on the table and looked back to the younger Priestess ... and it was a rare thing that bekkah could be referred to as younger amidst those she traveled with.

"On one hand returning to the First Ring would be the kind thing to do - it would show that Our Lady's kindness was something not just a midsummers gift, a momentary kindness. that would b a very good thing.

"It is my strongest recommendation. That said ..."

She looked between Bekkah and Romana.

"There is a measure of wisdom in testing your youngling with a new challenge to see how she reacts. She is your student and you know her better than me and what would be best for her.'

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sat 20/12/14 22:27 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

At the west Korie's words the elder Kierkegaard chuckled.

"That depends on your husband.

"Beneath the Khorall, the youngest of three brothers is entitled to lands and coin to maintain himself in service to the Khorall. Usually this is a single share of five. Of course the heir gets three shares and the second gets two. On one hand that is a tremendous amount of wealth ... on the other hand your husband only gets it ...

" ... in service to the Khorall. Who owns everything until he dies.

"Now, and I mean no insult, your husband is not the most responsible of Lords. and while his actions afield are, to say the very least, interesting ... they do him no favors here. However he has not been disowned yet; it seems his servants are an extremely canny sort. thus if you need to inquire as o your own allowance, I should talk to Talantal's new Exchequer."

From behind him, Kristof's heir laughed.

"On the other hand, when the Lords of the land are off to do their lordly work, who do you think manages the household.

"Your sister, she knows her numbers, correct?"

As he mounted the Khorall of Kierkegaard spared his last words directly to Mikal.

"When you are at step four or five come to the Black Mountains and you will be well received.

"As for now ...

"Determine what your first step is ...

"And set yourself on it with all your determination."

Kadri:

"No insult taken, I myself tend towards the interesting as well. And while the traditional responsibilities of a lord might not be among them - there are many, many things at which Dominic is quite responsible indeed. Responsibility, and honor, comes in many forms."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 28/12/14 20:08 UTC
oocly peeks in - I suspect the Holidays have attacked. Your past actions seem to have rewarded you with some very powerful and wealthy allies who will help you reach your goals ... though you aren't quite in the position to call those favors in.

So now is your chance to take those first steps in that direction ... figure out what you want to do to get things rolling and we'll see where it takes you.

As for Bekkah ... it is a similar thing. You have an Initiate ... how do you want to train her?

Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 28/12/14 20:28 UTC
Mikal

He knows what he needs to do, but first he has to talk to Kadri privately so he waits until she completes her business here and they return to her rooms.
(And let's say that happens)
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 28/12/14 20:45 UTC
Mikal

Once they are where they can speak privately, he relaxes a bit and asks Kadri, "Can you find out how much money you have access to? I need to go to the local Jvrillian Chapterhouse and start spreading the word I am recruiting. I know a few who can get the word out into the field to some of my former Troopmates. I will need to talk to Daxia about her being able to be my second and recruiting Dayalans, and then we'll need to see about asking Darian if she is willing to create a scout contingent. If not, if we could find some followers of Arilys, that would work as well. Not exactly sure how to find those, and I know Darian, so I want to ask her first."

"In any case, once I put word out for Jvrillian and Dayalan recruits I am going to need funds to pay them. And we won't be bringing in any coin at first. Training will take a while and we're going to have to look at that as an investment in the future. Once the Troop is trained we can start taking paying jobs."

"So, I need to know how may I can hire, and that depends on our finances."
Kadri:

She laughs quite merrily.

"One does not simply find people such as you mention. One at most might put the word that something which might be of amusement could be happening out on the wind and hope it reaches the right ears and that those ears agree that, indeed, there is amusement to be had. Those of the fox are independent folk, not liable to come to a summons, who come in like water and like the wind they go. I can attempt to see if I can start a rumor mill. It is likely the best I can do on that count."

"As for finances ... My noontime meeting was to be with the one who could provide me with that answer. Which should prove convenient no?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 29/12/14 00:25 UTC
Mikal

"Yes. We will also need a place for them to quarter and train. I suppose we could start sending them to Kierkegaard in advance of the mounts. I'll need to see if Daxia can go with the first group."
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 29/12/14 00:31 UTC
[OOC: Dazi is glad she doesn't know what you're talking about because she'd be laughing herself silly right now. Actually... all things considered, she could use a good laugh. The only problem is that she might not stop. Laughing, that is.]

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 04/01/15 16:09 UTC
The Heartwood
Noon, Rameday, the First of Fate

Kadri and Mikal

Noontime came; the sun reaching its zenith announced by the tolling of the bells of the Talantal cathedral, the bright sound drifting down from the fifth ring all the way to the main gates.

Kadri's arrival was not similarly announced, however.

Instead, when she knocked on the doors to Tray Korie's suite first the door was opened a crack ... a pair of short beady eyes peering out from a deeply shadowed hood suspiciously. Once the little girl recognized who was waiting, she silently opened it full, hiding behind it as she made room for the two to enter.

The suite was a bit different. Today the outer room was occupied. A large table had been brought in and racked about it were barrels and stubby ceramic pots - each containing a number pf scrolls. many too were rolled out across the table, covered in well ordered text - perhaps ledgers of some manner or sort.

The windows had been thrown open, letting in fresh air and sunlight; this library was now a bright space and no longer a sick room.

The Korie lord sat in a plain, rugged chair - something borrowed from the kitchens perhaps, and was going over the records with a careful concentration. When the two entered his part of th tower he looked up, smiled and nodded.

"Dear sister ... Mikal ... make yourself comfortable. The big fancy chairs should not go to waste."

His borrowed servant closed the door behind them and then scurried back to her place - a small stool and table set just for her, next to Tray, where she nibbled at a plate of apple and cheese.

"Thank you, Miss Mouse."

Tray then returned his attention to his visitors. He tapped his fingers on the documents before him.

"This is the part of bing a Noble no on tells anyone about."
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 04/01/15 16:25 UTC
Mikal

He notes all the scrolls and nods internally that he is once again happy that Jvrill frowns on writing and reading.

Seeing no one else in the room, he takes one of the offered chairs.

"Well, my Lord, most Nobles I know hire someone to do all that", he waves a hand at the piles of scrolls, "for them. Naturally it encourages a bit of corruption, but then some of them hire someone to watch the person they hired to do the work too."

He grins.

"In fact, one minor Lordling I once met told me he only became suspicious if the one he hired showed too much honesty and there was no signs of him stealing. 'A little stealing', he told me, showed he could trust the man. 'No stealing' meant the man was up to something horribly worse."

He sighs. "Still", he taps his head, "I keep everything up here. No way for anyone to take it or alter it without my say."
Kadri :

"And of course, back home, I would not be expected to trouble myself with such things, that being the place of whatever unfortunate soul they picked to be my betrothed."

She smiles winningly.

"That being the case, of course _I_ wish to know what resources are within my circle of responsibiity."

She makes a circle with the fingers of both hands before laying them on the table.

"I have some projects in mind and would see what I have available to dedicate to their completion."

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 11/01/15 18:49 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Tray looked up to Mikal and could not help but chuckle.

“A little stealing …

“Is like being a little bit pregnant.”

The Korie Lordling leaned back, setting down his quills and capping the small glass jar of ink.

“Look at the choices made about you.

“The Dayalan Knight and Her Lady. The Allaine Heir’s bodyguard … and her Lieutenants. Even my little Brother – the most mischievous, irresponsible and unpredictable of the bunch, and yet he chose you to trust with my life.

“My sister-in-law’s choice of companions to invest in.”

He then turned his attention to Kadri.

“On one hand I would have good news. Dominic, as the black sheep of my kin, tended to live by his own dubious graces. And like the Allaine heir his … allowance … was never spent and has been collecting for years. Along the same lines the taxes from his lands have not been spent and neither have they increased – which means the villages managed in his names have had the means to grow and proper.

“My holdings are also safe; as being in a sickbed, there was little I had to do for passing the time except insure they were properly managed.

“Thus it is my Father’s and Marcus’ accounts that are in terrible shape.

“A little thieving indeed.”

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table and his chin in his hands.

“There is a reason why we are called the Grand Duchy of Talantal. Our power – aye we do have good Knights and men-at-arms, but the true might of the Kories is the Talantal crown.

“Which makes you one of the ten richest people this side of the Road East.

“Do you want to buy a town? I am sure we could arrange that if you wished.”

He looked to Mouse.

Miss Mouse just nodded back.

“And that’s the bad news.

“It’s not going to take long for other people to figure that out either.”
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 11/01/15 20:57 UTC
Mikal

He shrugs. "I think his point was that there is no such thing as a truly honest man, especially in service to a Noble House. So if he could find the small larceny it meant there was likely no large larceny going on he couldn't find."
Kadri:

"My trust is absolute, Mikal. You are friend. You are as family. That is, in fact, all there is to it - and that you will have to live with."

She says solemnly before winking and grinning.

"So you have a bratty troublemaking sister in that case."

She sticks out her tongue.

She looks back to Tray.

"It may not be immediate but .. I am looking into acquiring some flat, somewhat open land a bit out of the way, and a good number of horses from my homeland - as well as certain other supplies and services."

There. The interest of a daughter of Amber in acquiring horses and land to run them on should not seem that unusual, should it?

She winks at Mikal.

"Let's just say that ... I am well aware of the nature of people and while the consequences of that nature may be on a larger scale - even here people are merely people."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 18/01/15 18:52 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

"...khhhhhyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... eee ... eee ... eee .... eeeeeeeek ..."

It was not a playful cry, it was not an angry cry, it was a cry that definitely had a Dayalan take a step into the room with sharp black eyes and without the benefit of deep set cultural traditions against harming those of Lady Attera.

Romana actually cringed, an instinctive beat-into-her reflex. kay took a hard step forward and then stopped, the sound of her foot echoing in the small room - and it was only friendship and the fact that bekkah was her mentor's sister that stayed her hand.

"You ..."

The white haired girl's protector harshly barked out, caught her breath, and then consciously softened her words.

"You are scaring her."

Romana looked back, for a moment, and it was indeed fear Bekkah saw in her eyes, fear of being touched, fear of being so close - it was somewhat like ... no exactly like ... an old old wound being torn open. Her head immediately ducked and fell as she curled up about herself, and when let go only then looked back and whispered a broken,

" ... appy ... appy ... appy-o-logies ... "

It should not had been a surprise ... remembering, Romana had been uncomfortable with the children's attention - that must have been balanced by something else ... a deeper than usual belief that children should not be hurt. That and she fell asleep on Kay's shoulder ... not the other way around.

Some wounds, it seemed, could not be cured with a spell.

Lady Anastasia folded her hands on the table and looked back to the younger Priestess ... and it was a rare thing that bekkah could be referred to as younger amidst those she traveled with.

"On one hand returning to the First Ring would be the kind thing to do - it would show that Our Lady's kindness was something not just a midsummers gift, a momentary kindness. that would b a very good thing.

"It is my strongest recommendation. That said ..."

She looked between Bekkah and Romana.

"There is a measure of wisdom in testing your youngling with a new challenge to see how she reacts. She is your student and you know her better than me and what would be best for her.'
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 18/01/15 18:52 UTC

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Then I would suggest to continue to look for the right people. They can be found; but often in the last place one would look.

“Not because then, of course, you’ve found them, but because no one was supposed to be able to be found there in the first place.

“In general, you will learn that people are good. The conflict is the ones that aren’t, they will be the ones most likely to be looking for a place where they can do the most … mischief.”

Drawing out another scroll, Tray carefully laid it out. It was a map, of the holdings of Talantal – from Highside Heather to the Blackwater River, from the edge of the Silk Creek Ravine to the edge of a forbidden woods.

“Actually, setting you up with a manor outside of the Keep would be both easy, traditional and probably suit the heir’s new wife quite well – especially since for her, out of sight is definitely out of line.

“However, it will limit you to those lands beholden to your young husband. Now, he is the youngest and while the lands are not poor they are not the most favorably located; the homesteads tend to be the most northern of ours … which mean they back up to the Dirkwood Forest.”

He looked up, offering the shyest in the room a nod of his head.

“Which may not be as bad as one might think.

“Otherwise …”

He looked back to Kadri,

“To find a holding outside of Talantal you have two choices. First, you find it on your own, parlaying your own alliances and connections. Otherwise, to buy, you’d have to withdraw a large amount from the Family’s vault. Which can be done. But be rest assured, that’s the sort of thing that doesn’t go unnoticed. What happens on a manor within the Duchy is basically one’s own business as long as taxes are paid. But when the Family’s gold goes out beyond the borders … that is when Father wants to know why.”
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 18/01/15 19:17 UTC
(OOC - Just to clarify. The Kierkegaards did say they they wouldn't send a trainer outside of their lands, did they not? Meaning any group of mercenaries we gathered would need to be sent to Kirkegaard for training?)
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 21/01/15 15:13 UTC
Bekkah

She looked from Romana to the older priestess.

"I think that we can do the most good in the lower rings. I certainly do not see our Lady's blessings as a gift of Midsummer's only."

"It would be good for Romana to see the people on a normal day. And equally so for them to see her."

She looked back at the priestess.

"Did you want Marcy and Darcy to accompany me as well or do you think they had more than enough of my training?" she asked her face impassive.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 21/01/15 17:06 UTC
ooc note: Yes, if they were to be trained by the Kierkegaards
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 21/01/15 17:41 UTC
(OOC - Wolf - Question wasn't really about by, more about where. After all nothing to stop the Kierkegaards from sending a trainer here.)
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 25/01/15 18:53 UTC
ooc notes - if they are to b trained by the Kierkegaards, it would have to be in Kierkegaard territory. They know their training is special and thus work to keep it within their own lands.

On the other hand it does not have to be all a once. Remember, while it is possible to go into a guildhall and say "I need fifty good men" a troop of the caliber of the Horde is not created that way.

Dandy cherry picked each of its members ... so it started with one, then two then five and slowly grew in that manner. Some came trained, some did not.

As both Kristof and Rikart noted ... step 1 is finding those people. This could take a while - and on method might be traveling the length and breath of the Highland Path to see what caliber of folks Mikal might meet!

and apologies for the slow responses - many offline reasons sad
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 25/01/15 20:58 UTC
np. And yes, I presumed individual recruiting and interviewing by Mikal.
Kadri:

I think then, that the obvious choice is a location within Talantal itself. ANd backing up to the Dirkwood"

She looks over to Mikal.

"Might suit ... my .. needs quite well, in the end."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/02/15 20:37 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Waverider’s Watch.”

Tray nodded once, returning to the map.

“It’s not really a manor; and it’s quite a distance out. It is more of an outpost; it has its own spring, its own mill pond which then falls into the Blackwater River. It overlooks a bridge that crosses the river, right there in the shadow of the Dirkwood; a little used trail wraps around the edge of the forest; according to the oldest scrolls it used to run all the way from the port to Trundle …”

Tracing a curved line across the map, the scholar peered closely where the scribblings indicated cliffs, rocks and an impassible way.

“But somewhere the edge of the forest changed, and if there was a way up these cliffs its now hidden behind the treeline.”

His attention returned to the forgotten corner of the map.

“Waverider’s Watch. It belongs to the Kories only by the simple fact that it was built on our side of the Blackwater. Beyond the mill and the watchtower there are a small collection of farmhouses – every now and then they get a visit from the smith down at Larsen’s village.

“Dommi likes the place …

“It’s where they send you when you get in true trouble, up here in the Keep.”
Kadri:

"Then it is a good place to send myself because I am trouble. And it makes a quite unremarkable spot for me to choose as my own given Dominic's predilection for it."

OOC: how much do we need to work out actual details here, or is the broad outline ok to go with?
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/02/15 21:38 UTC
The Heartwood

[i]Bekkah

“I donnae believe it …

“Cor … unicorns got nothing on this …

“Monster-Lady!”

“ … sea and stars and a sunny day in Wolf. Tally, send the girls to the well and break out the five good goblets. Liza, run down to the smithy and tell Finn his girlfriends back. Make sure they get anythin’ they want or need. Especially the idiot white haired one. She forgets. And I’ll be Andwise’s Mama … she may be a monster …

“ … but she looks like she’s OUR monster.”

Stepping into the First Ring square, Bekkah could not help be the center of attention. The comments came from across the small square, for the moment, just a moment, stopping traffic and commerce.

“Hoi. Don’t just stand there. What, you never see a Lady of Attera before?”

So it only lasted for a heartbeat or so …

The chatter was all across the ring and even if it was by word of mouth it was not soon before the small group was called out and broken up. A lad, no more than five, chose Darcy first, dragging her into the square’s general store to help his father. Marcy was summoned next, swept away by a gaggle of farmer’s wives and word of brothers and uncles who worked so hard to pay their taxes and thus had no time to take care of themselves.

A girl, wrapped in a light but thread bare cloak, hesitated, once, twice, and thrice, before walking up to tug at Romana's sleeve. The white haired initiate turned. Listened and blinked once, twice and thrice.

“Romanas not understand. But Romanas follow, yes, yes, yes …”

Kay simply glowered, as if he did understand a bit. She too followed, though the cloaked girl did not look too happy about it.
As they went off to heir work, the Inn-mistress walked up beside Bekkah.

“Oh this should be interesting.

“The lass’ name is Lessa. Her parents lost their farm to Montague so they came here. They needed coin, so they put her to work in one of the less reputable houses here …

“Does your princess know what a brothel is?

“Because I’m pretty sure that dark haired merebeast with the spear does.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 02/02/15 13:06 UTC
Bekkah

She had spent many years in villages that were just like this, so the reaction did not surprise her. In a way it saddened her. These people should expect one of her kind to be there to help. It should not surprise them.

She was glad that Marcy and Darcy had been willing to return with her. Yesterday had been an awakening for them, but she could tell from the way they had walked and talked down to the first ring that they had felt what she always felt. Maybe for the first time, they had truly felt like a Lady of Attera.

She watched them each get dragged off to help. Then Romana was pulled aside as well with Kay.

She looked to the Inn-Mistress to hear what help she needed when she explained the situation to Bekkah.

"Thank you. Yes, that might prove troublesome. I had best catch up to them." She said pulling up her skirts a bit to catch up with the pair.

Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 02/02/15 14:50 UTC
Mikal

Once Kadri is finished speaking with Tray, and the two of them take their leave, he says, "One thing I can get started now is to visit the local Jvrillian Chapterhouse and put out a notice I am recruiting. It will help spread the word."
Kadri:

"I can try to put the word out on the wind of possible interesting times and see that f anyone bites at the line ..."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 08/02/15 18:21 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Well you can …”

Tray looked up from his scrolls.

“But you may wish to try outside of Talantal. I doubt you can out bid the merchants of the Third Ring or the minor nobles of the Fourth. Which means those that would answer a general call from a relatively new Swordlord are probably not they type you want for such a … special group.

“Look to the elder Koromov; do you think a single member of the Horde came from a Guild hall herald? I doubt it.

“You’ll need to find each one.”

He then considered the matter seriously.

“Do you know any troops with folks you trust? Talk to their leader. I suspect they may have worthy souls who are deserving more experience and responsibility … but cannot find it in the hierarchy of their current troop. They may be willing to leave and join a new venture – a chance to be a leader in a small troop than rank and file in an older one.

“Do it right and you not only get a trusted capable soul, but you build an alliance with another.

He looked down at the map.

“Or find trustable guard in a small town.

“There’s no one in Talantal I’d know to recommend and I cannot truly say I know where Dommi found his bodyguard, Miss Mouse."

“But I bet there’s folk in Talesan’s Village and the Larsen keep who want to see more of the world.”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 08/02/15 18:47 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

It is a long walk; not for the distance, but for the bustle in the broken down streets. They are narrow, dusty, crowded and dirty – the buildings on either side ramshackle – which is odd for Bekkah. The farmers of the High Tarn … who were not rich at all, who worked hard, seemed to better than the folks in this part of the grand keep town.

If the streets of Talantal were paved with gold, the architects and builders had most certainly forgotten this Ring.

Slowly, one by one, Romana’s train of children were hauled away; with no little complaint, by Mother and Older Sisters – as if their destination was easily discernable and certainly not appropriate.

Some of the elder townswomen looked back over their shoulder, worried.

Some of the older rakes seemed to follow – as if interested. Kind of like the crowd that gathers around a tumbled over caravan wagon.

And yes, it was obvious that they had reached the proper location.

The building sprawled a little, tired and worn, two stories leaning right up against the stone side of the Second the the Ring wall. It was indistinguishable from a tavern or bar; save that the big front window was oiled paper and not diamond patterned panes of glass, there as no place to water and tie a traveler’s horse, and it bore no sign proclaiming it as a place for food and drink.

It was the sudden explosion of wood rails and mullions, the ripping of paper and a man flying through that window, scattering pieces of wood and other scraps in his wake. He was a rough looking man – but only half Finn’s side – and he looked worse for he wear, his tunic was torn, it was bloody, and his face looked like it had an unfortunate meeting with a length of wood. He tried to pick himself up, took one step, and then fell face first into the road.

“DOH. NAE. CARE …”

Sharp words, dark words, clipped words, a girl’s words, which echoed out of the building, through the open window. They were accompanied by the sound of something hard hitting something soft, repetitious … like a hammer hitting an anvil or a steak being tenderized.

“DOH. NAE. GIVE. YOU. LEAVE. TO. HURT. THEM.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 15:34 UTC
Bekkah

She winced as she saw the man, and heard the words that followed.

She rushed into the brothel, looking for Kay.

As soon as she saw her, she assumed an imperious tone and look that Kay had not seen.

"Kay! Stop!" she commanded.

She looked to see where Romana was. She was fairly certain that it was not Romana whom Kay was protecting. If it was, then she knew she would not be able to stop her.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 18:45 UTC
Mikal

He nods. "God advice. Perhaps I can catch up with the Horde Captain before she leaves?"
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 19:16 UTC
[Oh dear... so many things have such potential to come crashing down so badly. Timelines shifting, things happening in different dimensions.

Oh wait. I like that stuff. In Alternate Reality. Okay. Nevermind. I'm not re-writing all this stuff I've written for Dazi. <shrug>]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 20:10 UTC
(OOC - Shouldn't run ahead of the timeline if you don't want to have to adjust....... <g>. I don't know how far you've posted, but as far as I know it's barely the next morning after the Midsummer's festival. In Mikal's timeline at least.)
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 20:24 UTC
[As far as I can tell, it's early morning for Darian and Cesare... slightly later in the morning for Bekkah and her gang... and lunchtime for Kadri and Mikal.

I've maneuvered Dazi to avoid all the players (well, except, apparently for Dean), but the events in the First Ring may have repercussions on a Dayalan leaving Talantal... and if you go looking for Dandy, you'll cause a rupture in the space-time continuum because Dazi is with Dandy.

Of course, what I've written isn't really real since the GM hasn't seen it yet and I'm still on hiatus and working Dazi through the ton of bricks the GM dropped on Dazi before I went on hiatus. All I'm saying is that things could get messier than usual around here. smile ]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 20:55 UTC
(OOC - Hey, when she spots Mikal coming she can jump into the nearest midden heap to hide....... wink But, actually, since the GM suggested Mikal go looking for Dandy, why would he not?)
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 21:36 UTC
[Like I said... different dimensions, alternate universes. There's no such thing as "reality" anyway, so why pretend there is? You have your reality, I have my reality. Maybe they'll eventually merge back together again.

And why would you suggest that the Captain of the Wild Horde jump in a midden heap? Tcha! I surely won't tell her you said that!

Unless I do. Because maybe Dazi is just having a bad dream brought on by eating something icky. It must have been those carrots.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 22:46 UTC
(OOC - Clearly meant Dazi. wink She's the one who doesn't want to see Mikal.)
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/02/15 23:05 UTC
[But Dazi never said she didn't want to see Mikal! In fact, she'll be off to look for him when she's done with whatever it is she's doing in the other dimension she's in. Or when she wakes up from this bad dream. Maybe someone should go tell Bekkah her little sister might be sick. grin

Yanno, I think Dean might actually be afraid of Bekkah. He ought to be following her around, but he decided to follow the little sister instead. Of course, it's not like Kay needs any help to beat the guys in the brothel senseless. And the whole set up would probably make Dean blush to death. Still. It's odd.

On the other hand, it's a different dimension. So who knows? ]

Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 15/02/15 17:59 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Perhaps … The Koromov is vey much like you, I suspect. If she takes a job, she will be found at it. The fact that Kisa Allaine now holds her Contract is more than just a happenstance, you realize.

“True, it is not the first time she has served the Allaines during court, but that The Horde is no longer at the Khorall’s call means there is a shifting of power east of Border …”

The Lordling laughed and shook his head,

“… east of Highside Heather…”

Like his Father, Tray acknowledged the recent change of borders.

“ … and the young heiress has already proven to be quite a different person than her mother. Linnell Allaine learned the ways of the Empire to strength Dawnview, and while it is obvious she taught her daughter well … Kisa Allaine has shown that she fights courtly battles with her own manner of tactics.

“But to find the Koromov?

“She is in service to the young Allaine. She will be where the young Allaine believes is best.

“How good are you at second guessing Khorall Kisa Allaine?”

Turning, Tray returned his attention to his sister-in-law.

“You have been rather quiet; so I’ll ask this.

“It is one thing, to have the crowns and resources to buy whatever you wish.

“To say, I shall buy this.

“Excellent in words.

"However ...

“Shouldn’t you be out there, in the actual world once more, looking for who it is, exactly, by name, you wish to buy?”
Kadri:

"Oh, most definitely. I have places to go, and people in mind to go there with, and things to do and other people to find. Need to spend time between the distant horizon and the present ground. That is advice I have no trouble taking."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 15/02/15 19:09 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

The inside of the … hostel … was not quite the place that a Bekkah was wont to patronize. It was definitely a bar of sorts; there was one of worn wood across the back of the room, behind which were a few kegs and a collection of bottles and skins – probably wine, but probably not of the quality found in her Cathedral’s kitchens.

There were tables and chairs, but they were a scattered and tumbled, as if a cyclone had struck this place. There was a set of stairs leading up – where in any respectable tavern the rooms for rent would be. The railing, however, was broken, an on the floor beneath a man wrapped in a tousled blanket lay in an awkward sprawl – as if he had been dragged from bed too early in the morning.

Except it was no longer early in the morning.

Coming down the steps, all that was able to be seen, was the lowest hems of a white tunic skirt and familiar boots, accompanied by a second tunic skirt and bare feet. The bare feet trembled and were brokenly paced, as if the latter person was dependent upon the former.

Most of the people in the room were women; of all ages fancier but not quite succeeding; spread about in an awkward circle, like water splashed from rock thrown in the pond. There expressions varied – from shock, some frightened, some worried – one had a hand to her forehead in exasperation ...

“ … this is not going to end well …”

while two of the younger ones were a bit more spirited.

“ … it’s about bloody time!”

“ … get him once for me! Twice … thrice … oh gods and goddesses …”

The second one’s words faltered.

There were a handful – a most – of men in the odd arena circle. Most were watching, as if something impossible were happening. A couple were reaching for a bottle, a chair, though they were hesitant, as if they were considering what happened to two of their brethren. One lay unconscious atop a table. The other was in the center of the room. A big man, a dirty looking man.

Oh he wasn’t going anywhere.

A long spear bedecked with black and white ribbons had him impaled to the ground through surcoat and tunic. No to mention the dark haired girl that straddled him, one hand wrapped in his collar – the other in a fist and repetitively smashing down onto the man’s face again and again and again.

He obviously had stopped feeling anything a while back. His breath bubbled blood – he was probably now missing a few more teeth too.
The Atteran’s words brought a stop, Kay’s arm raised high for the next blow.

Slowly she stood, still standing above her opponent, letting him fall flat on the floor with an undignified whumf. She turned, one hand reaching out, snaring her spear and with a jerk yanking it brutally free.

The Initiate did not look good.

Her clothes were torn, her face was streaked with blood, her hair matted.

“ …. shesh … “

One word, in Foresttalk. The rest a list halting Colonial.

“ … Darkdown, Tor-an-dal, Jeminy’s Hill, Bordertown … Highside Heather.

“We fought tah protect these people. Lilykins died onna stupid bridge to protect them.

“Only for this? Cause they’s got nin otha’ choice, nothin’ else, they kin get beat up?

“I’m tha’ youngest dotter o’ a bloody poor farmer. If not for Lilykins …

“… this could’a been me.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/02/15 12:40 UTC
Bekkah

She approached Kay slowly, raising her to her feet.

She didn't say a word until she was done. Then she wrapped her arms around her, not worrying about the blood on her robe.

"I know. I understand. There are injustices all around. But this is not the way."

When she let go of her, she looked her over.

"Are you hurt at all?"

If so, she'd heal her, either way, she'd point to Romana.

"Help Romana with those that need it. I'll take care of this." she said calmly.

She then turned to the men in the room.

"You lot. Take this man and return to your homes. I will tend to any that ask it of me. This man does not seem in a position to ask. When he wakes, if he wants healing, tell him to come see me."

"Go." she said in a firm tone that carried every bit the tone of an Imperial Priestess.

[ooc: If the guy looks seriously hurt, like more than a concussion and broken nose and teeth, then she'd heal him now. She would not let him die before he could come back.]
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 22/02/15 17:15 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

The Korie looked to both the Jvrillian and the Noblewoman.

“Then, of course, the most important question is a simple one.”

He pushed himself back, arms crossing as he took stock of them, considering them seriously.

“I’ll say this about my youngest sibling. He is rash, he is reckless, he is daring, mischievous and all the things that make one be considered unreliable and reckless.

“There is, however, one thing that you cannot say about him. He is neither indecisive nor hesitant. He does not wait for life to hand him his fate. He takes fate by the hand, gives her a very unseemly kiss and then drags hr where he wants.

“So he makes a great many mistakes.

“But they are his mistakes; and more often or not he gets what he wishes in the end – and he has a much better history of getting what he wishes than most Khoralls, including the one sitting in far off Dawnview Vale.

“So that beings me back to my question.”

He smiled.

The Mouse actually giggled.

“Shouldn’t you be out actually making his scheme of yours work?

“By Light, Shadow and Swords …

“What are you still doing here?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 22/02/15 17:20 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

The young Dayalan looked up to the Atteran, leaning on her spear with one crooked am, the other reaching up to her head, slowly combing out the matted locks and dropping bits of bottle glass to ground.

“’S’pectfully, Your Bekkahness, sometimes …”

She paused, her blood streaked face giving her a rather gruesome, fierce look, a visage the girl didn’t even seem to notice much herself. She was definitely her younger sister’s Initiate.

“… sometimes it’s the only way.

“Lilykins says that’s why we protect and the druids heal.”

Her gaze rose to the two slowly making their way down the stairs.

“I’ve been better …

“But I’ve also I’ve been worse. If I let this slow me down Lilykins would cuff me, an’ I be deservin’. On tha road East, I’d be dead. Ain’t gonna give your sister any less.”

That caused a stir from the crowd, odd strange whispers.

“Druid …”

“Tha’s Foresttalk for healer …”

“Foresttalk … what … I dunno what she is but she certainly ain’t no witch … but … but how can she be …”

“Just who is she …”

“ … common folk jus’ like us?”

While the menfolk, they looked between the black haired merebeast that stood near the base of the stairs, the proper Atteran Lady at the door, and the strange white haired creature in matching white robes.

“… Jagnar’s beard … swordbitches and ladies and monsters … “

They cursed, they grumbled, they groused, but in the end they gathered up the brothel’s bouncer and his partner, the owner, and half carried, half dragged them out of the lowly place.

The brutal patron, he had already been tossed from this place; the man who had been thrown through the window. He too was rather undignifiedably removed.

“Bekkahbekkahbekkah …”

Finally, having reached the base of the stairs, Romana looked back; she seemed a bit tired, and the young woman in he arms couldn’t be much older than she was.

“Rest-rest … in healing place, yes, yes, yes? Cuts all healed and bandaged, brokenness fixed … but rest, rest good for getting all betters?”
There were some things magic could not heal; and the hurt girl looked – worn, tired, and a stay in the Hostel; well that was what the hostels were for. There wasn’t one in this ring, but there was one in the next.

Their arrival would definitely raise brows once more.

In this matter the Dayalan did follow Bekkah’s advice, moving to the other girl’s side, to take her from the Initiate. Helping the wounded off the battlefield was something else Kay had done far far too many times.

When the three left there was a collective sigh from the women left within; certainly, after this they would have an afternoon off …

Which, of course, was why and when one of the elder of them, the most experienced, the one who had her face in her palm earlier, walked up to Bekkah.

“Well thanks lassie …

“It’s not often we get folks looking after us.

“But have you and yours just made things worse?

“Just what are we supposed to do tomorrow, your righteousness?”
Kadri:

"... Right. Then, oh brother mine, it is time for me to make mischief, and so I must beg pardon, for I must go greet a distant horizon."

She stands, and bows.

And turns and sweeps out of the room.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 22/02/15 18:59 UTC
Mikal

(OOC - I actually thought Mikal had already left, but no matter.)

He follows Kadri out of the room. "I need to go talk to the Horde Captain before she leaves, ..... and Daxia."

(OOC - Wolf - Mikal goes and tracks down Dandy and Daxia to talk to them about his plan and what the heir suggested.)
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 22/02/15 20:57 UTC
lol
Kadri:

"You know, Mkal, that you need never ask my permission. The horde captain it is."
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 23/02/15 13:08 UTC
Bekkah

She listened to Kay and couldn't really dispute what the girl said. It was a sad truth that people such as these didn't respect much. She also nodded to Romana.

"We'll take her out with us and get her settled."

The last person who spoke to her was the hardest to answer.

"They will return. Of that I have no doubt. We can return as well, but that may serve no one. Perhaps we could turn this into a place of healing for the people."

"We would have to clean this place up. But it would make it easier to help the people."

[ooc: If this is ridiculous, I have another idea (involving Finn grin)]

(Involving my cat? And wolf, even if time travel, so to speak, is involved, I want to have that convo with her sister)
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/03/15 18:58 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

“Turn a brothel… into a hospice?”

Now it was the older woman’s time to look a bit surprised and incredulous.

“Like that can be made to happen. I’ll sooner see a shaggie prance upon a pin or trees promenade up the rings or a girl with a …

“… well to tell the truth, two out of three ain’t bad.”

She looked at the rather run down space, its wide commons, its makeshift bar, a place with rooms above for less savory things. Stepping away she slowly started to put the place back together, righting the chairs, setting the table straight.

“Do you really believe you can make that happen? What about my girls? Sure, one or mebbe two might have a healer’s, but most of them don’t know any other trade.

“But your Cathedral don’t accept street folk like us. And without this , how are they going to earn any coin? It’s not like they are the type of girls a guy would marry any more. You end up here because you don’t got a choice, so you make do. Take this away, what choices are you going to give them?

“What can you really give us, Lady?

“It’s not like we have any other skills. Who’d apprentice any of these girls?

“Really.”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/03/15 19:52 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

If wishes were horses …

Then there would be nothing special about Amber or her people.

There are desires, contradictions, and time lost, decisions made and actions have their consequences. There was a time, when Kadri’s sister could have been easily found and as but a handful of yards away. But then she decided to go to visit the Korie lord it would be like reversing Her path. The Kierkegaards had been preparing to leave; and they did, and of course they took their bride-to-be with hem – it was only proper, it was the safe and secure path.
A swift horse might catch them; if it was desired, perhaps reaching them after dark at their first stop up the trail.

But it would be a path that separates desires; Mikal and Kadri could go chasing after Kadri’s well protected sister.

Or they could go in search of Captain Koromov and further their own plans.

Quote:
"You know, Mkal, that you need never ask my permission. The horde captain it is."

It took a while to find the Captain, and by then it was nearing dusk. It was just within the first ring, the square at the gate, her presence betrayed by her horse and two others tied before the “Bucket of Beer” – or are least that was what painted on the signboard hanging above the door. Fred was easily recognizable and the two horses beside her also shared the same distinctive gray starburst horsemark.

Inside the bar was crowded; mostly with travelers who had decided to spend an extra day or two in Talantal past the midsummers. As it was close to dinner time it was bustling, with platters of food and grog being trucked across the commons.

The two they were searching for had claimed three spots along the crowded bar. Lanky and dusty, one was Dunwich, the Horde’s quartermaster. The second was a lightly built lad, in a cloak with the hood pulled up.
Between them Dandy slowly drained a tall pewter mug, wiping her lips with the back of her hand before she slowly set it back down.

“It’s fine. I suspect she’s more sore than I …

“… and nothing like Erika.

“Duff … I need you to the chow wagons ready; Deny, you gather in the pickets; we ride up he Montague trail the moment the Allaine passes through the gates.”
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/03/15 20:30 UTC
[OOC: Hmm... I take that back. It could be April or May... June, July, never. How the blood ifreann am I supposed to reconcile that? Nah, don't go there. You know what you did.]
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 01/03/15 22:55 UTC
Bekkah

She remained silent as the woman worked out the idea, seeing the possibilities. When she came to the obstacles, Bekkah smiled.

"I have a reputation for taking on those others would turn away as apprentices." she said looking over at Romana fondly.

"If your girls believe and will work hard then I will train them. But warn them, I will not accept anything less than true devotion to my lady. Those who think this they can lounge about should pack what they have and move on. I take my duties to my Lady very seriously."

"I also think that having your own place of healing in this ring would probably let you get some of your men to help you fix up the place where you need it."

"I know a certain Blacksmith who would probably be willing to help." she said with a smile.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Tue 03/03/15 15:29 UTC
Mikal

Eyes scanning the bar, he spots at least one of those who he is looking for sitting with two other members of the Horde. Nodding his head in their direction to point them out to Kadri he walks that way.

"Captain." He says by way of greeting. "Good to see you again."
Kadri:

She offers her arms-crossed bow again.

"Captain Koromov."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Thu 05/03/15 23:48 UTC
Captain Koromov

Sitting at the bar, the slender blonde seems quite comfortable; both rough hewn - with her black sword and riveted hauberk. Between her and her two companions there is a decent sized wooden bucket from which they occasionally dip their steins to draw them back filled with a dark beer. But then too she is an anomaly, her features could also pass for any farmer's lithe daughter, leaving folks wondering how she could bear the weight of hr own gear.

Duffy looks over his shoulder, recognizing the two and as such then returned to his drink.

The other nudged the Captain, acknowledging their guests.

Captain Dandelion Koromov too looked back, over her shoulder.

"Aye?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Fri 06/03/15 00:57 UTC
Mikal

He gets the bartenders attention. "Refill the bucket, and bring two more steins?" He glances at Dandy. "If you don't mind? I have something to talk with you about."
Kadri pulls the appropriate amount of coin and puts it down on the bar as payment.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 08/03/15 19:37 UTC
The Heartwood
Noon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

“Lassie, for a fine Imperial Lady, you got a kind heart, want to do good – which is bloody rare in this circle – and you certainly do hear, but you ain’t too good at listening are you…?”

The elder of the disreputable ladies crossed her arms and gave Bekkah a slow, measured look.

“It’s not that we couldn’t use a hospice down in this ring. But in the last two days we’ve seen more of your folks than we do in a normal year. And I suspect you are speaking true and right…

“…but are you planning on moving in with that big bloke Finn? What happens when you continue on your way?”

This woman, she obviously did not know how to ask easy questions.

“You don’t seem to get it, do you? I am sure some of the gals would love the chance to wear cream and white. And I am sure a portion of those would actually end up taking to the Church.

“But what about the others? Like me? We don’t need healing, dear lady. We need crowns. Actually a fullhand of pennies a five-day would be nice. To buy bread, some meat, hire out a place to sleep that ain’t a back alley.

“But for that you need work. I ain’t afraid of work, and I ain’t looking for charity. Most of the gals that end up her end up here because they got nothing else. Nin schoolin’, nin trade, nin any skill someone would pay for except layin’ on one’s back.

“The conditions are pretty bad, but it’s work. Stars watch from above – and some of the girls actually do like the work, you know.

“Sure, you’d make a nice place here in our Ring, and we do bloody well need it. And it would help some. But the others… they’d just end up in a place like this only somewhere else, and once again end up bein’ preyed upon by the dregs who can’t get through the Gate without dark folk connections or a bribe.

“How to say this? We don’t need a fancy bandage, Lady. We need the real hurt dealt with.”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 08/03/15 19:37 UTC
The Heartwood
Late Evening, Rameday, the First of Fates

Kadri and Mikal

The Captain of the Wild Horde looked between Mikal and Kadri, her head tilting a bit as she dipped her mug into the bucket to refresh her drink. If anything, it appeared the slight framed swordswoman had another hidden talent; she certainly could hold her drink.

But then again, perhaps it was a survival trait from the lands of her wayward youth.

“You know, laddie, I have a friend in the Alley who summed this up quite nicely…”

She sipped her brew, looking back, over the top of her mug, pausing to drag off a bit of foam with the back of her forefinger.

“Now what the silver-eyed one would say …”

Denys and Dunwich looked back, Dunwich wincing a bit and Denys biting his fist as if they knew what was coming.

“Of course...

“If you didn’t, you wouldn’t be talking now.”
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 09/03/15 15:13 UTC
Mikal

He grins and takes a seat, nodding to Denys and Dunwich.

"Well, let me get right to it then. It builds on the conversation we had earlier. I am going to be forming a Troop. A Troop of combined forces focused on somewhat different tactics. I will be interviewing everyone who is interested in joining personally as I want the right mix of Troopers."

He glances around the room as he talks.

"I will be catching up with Daxia and Kay after we're done talking here to ask them if they'd like to help."

"But first I thought I might ask you if you had anyone you might recommend? Anyone ready to take on a new role who might be blocked from moving up in the Horde. Or someone you know out of your Troop who'd make a good officer?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Wed 11/03/15 17:14 UTC
Bekkah

She let the woman say what she wanted then she smiled knowingly at her.

"First off thank you. Don't tell the other Imperials about my good heart, it upsets them." she said smiling, clearly teasing.

"Where I go from here. I cannot tell. I may stay a while, I may be gone soon. I go where I feel my Lady needs my help. Right now, I think that place is here."

"As far as keeping you all safe. That won't be a problem. I know some men that would not turn down my request to protect those here. Especially if we deemed this a place of healing."

"A place of healing needs many people, not just those who speak for My Lady. Patients and Lady's alike need to eat. And cleanliness is just as important to a person's healing. I can honestly tell you that I've cured more people with good bandages and the correct herbs than I have with my Lady's gifts. She has taught me to be resourceful as I bring comfort to as many as I can."

"As far as coin to pay for those willing to work here. I'm fairly confident that I can arrange for that to be taken care of as well. The church up the hill does not want for coin. Let's just say the Keep Seneschal owes me a favor so I think he'd make sure a fair amount made it's way here to help pay for a proper place for the people of this ring. In fact you may have met him the other day. Lord Trey."

"You ran this place, perhaps you'd be a good candidate to coordinate things here when I am not around. The sister's would of course be under the guidance of a priestess but the rest of the staff would need someone to keep them organized."

"As far as those who like the work they do. Well, you have me there. Nothing I say will change their minds, but at least if they need help, they'll know where to turn."

"So tell me Mistress, are you willing to give me a chance? Or do I have to do more to at least earn a chance?"
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 15/03/15 22:01 UTC

The Heartwood
Late Evening, Rameday, the First of Fates
]

Kadri and Mikal

Dandelion Koromov just smiled at Mikal’s question, letting her finger trace the circumference around the rim of her mug. She stayed quiet, knowing that it would be Dunwich that would speak up first.

“You realize that most lieutenants out there in the Guild troops would trade their eye teeth and go on a soup diet to just do picket duty in the Horde, ja? That and most of us… to tell the truth… are not the sort most other Jvrillians cotton too. There’s a reason why we are a Wild Horde and not some more martial named troop.

“If anything, we are Captain Dandy’s misfiiiiiiiiiiiii OW!”

The whap to the back of the quartermaster’s head was playful, but it was also a very firm and definite cuffing.

“That’s Captain DANDELION to you … and everyone else, Duffy. Just ‘cause I’d be broke in a fullhand without you don’t give you leave to be that familiar. Gutter rats cannot be dandies.

“But that’s true.”

The Captain of the Horde returned her attention to Mikal and Kadri.

“They are MY misfits, and they ride with the Horde because they fit with the Horde. That’s what you need to find. Find folks that fit you. Need advice? Ask Yurisdotter how to deal with ducklings.

“What I will do, however …”

Dandelion nodded.

“I will talk to Garrick, Harry and Daffyd when I swing back up to Bordertown. Bordertown’s a growing place; that’s where you’ll find folks trapped by rank and rankings.

“But on your way wherever?

“Look at the second and third sons. The first sons are well set; they get the family business. It’s the younger siblings that will have the desire to be something other than a hand me down. Even among Nobles and Imperials. Erika is the Imperial Justice. I am the swordswoman. There’s probably a lesson in that. Dazi’s ruffian … she was the youngest of a large family if I remember proper.

“That said, and more importantly …

“If we find such folks … where do we send them?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 15/03/15 22:02 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

Casting Bekkah a sidelongs look, the other woman answered, still conversational but perhaps a bit stern. No, ‘stern’ wasn’t the right word. Pragmatic, practical, speaking the difference between what might be wished and what is real.

“Never said that, Missus. Ain’t never met a Lady from the cathedral, them rare that I have, that spoke an untruth; even the little ones. But having a kind heart and good intentions is a far cry from actually getting something done, and something done that will last more than a season with one such as you here… and more’n half a season once you are gone.

“And that you are leaving, eventually, well, that’s bloody obvious, ja? You certainly didn’t come from here… the city is all rocked between you and those who came with, that settling down and living in the center of the world don’t quite seem to be something bound to happen.”

Slowly the room began to quiet – the tables reset, the busted wood and glass swept away. A couple of the girls looked at the broken window curiously.

“You know, I’ve always wanted to do that to that rat.

“And did you see her? She was scrawny and looked like she ain’t seen a comb or a brush in years…”

“The white-haired one… she can’t be a real Lady of Atterra, can she? I mean… but she’s… she’s…

“…she’s first healer that didn’t treat us like we were dirty or something.”

“…she’s prolly the only one in this bloody city who is lower on the way of things than us…”

The elder woman simply shook her head as the other two chattered.

“I don’t think we are going to get much business today. Especially when word gets around. Not just of blokes getting thrown through windows, but fancy ladies bein’ about ain’t quite the reputation we’re used to be having.

“But if you could get… cor… even a squire, mebbe two, to keep the peace, that’d be a step in the right direction. Because that’s what needed first – somethin’ to tell folks that come tomorrow, things aren’t going back to the way they were.”
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 15/03/15 23:55 UTC
Mikal

At the Horde Captain's question, he turns and glances at Kadri.
OOC:

Well, that brings a conundrum: I would say "Waverider's watch" but I don't know that I have anyone there to receive them if we are elsewhere. And we almost certainly will be at least in the near term.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/03/15 14:23 UTC
(OOC - Well we certainly need to hire staff for that and get them there. Perhaps the next item up? I don't think it'd hurt to tell Dandy the location and indicate something like "when the Fates disappear from the sky" as when we'd be ready to receive potential recruits. According to how I read the background stuff that is about 25 days from now.)
Kadri:

"Some preparations will need to be made, but have you heard of Waverider's Watch? In, say a month's time there should be something set up to receive whomever you may find."
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/03/15 15:30 UTC
[OOC: It's best not to discuss the constellations at this points because the background documentation is both vague and incomplete. However, your resident Astrologer is working on making that information less vague and more complete. Unlike other information in the background documentation that the GM wishes to remain both confusing and contradictory, there's no reason for basic knowledge of the MAJOR constellations not to be made public. At some future date. When I get around to it.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/03/15 15:33 UTC
(OOC - I'd have referred to the calendar, but I couldn't find it in the background stuff. At least not easily.)
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/03/15 15:37 UTC
[OOC: That's because it's a confusing and contradictory hot mess, too. I have a scan to upload eventually. After I fix the problems caused by scanning and the age of the original document.]
(Why i settled on location and "in about a month"
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 16/03/15 23:23 UTC
Also, DO NOT ask Daxia about ducklings.

JUST DON'T DO IT.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Tue 17/03/15 11:35 UTC
[ooc: You know of course that this just makes us want to ask grin]
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Tue 17/03/15 12:11 UTC
If you hadn't wandered out of the Hive Mind, you'd know why you shouldn't ask.
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Tue 17/03/15 16:31 UTC
Bekkah

She listened and let the woman speak.

"I can get some down here to keep you lot safe."

"Yes, I may leave. I cannot argue that. And perhaps it would not last. Would you prefer I not try? For anything other than getting things going, I cannot make promises. Perhaps, I can get stronger promises from others, but I do not know. I cannot speak for those in charge."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 23/03/15 00:23 UTC
The Heartwood
Early Evening, Rameday, the First of Fates

Kadri and Mikal

Dandelion Koromov narrowed her eyes and with just a glance snapped a look at her two companions over the brim of her mug. Then she took a sip, a slow one. Dunwich shrugged his shoulders and it was her other companion, Denys, that spoke up.

“Aye, I know the Watch. On the other side of the river from Barlibert’s farm, down Talesan’s Village way. It’s a small and strange place – and in some ways quite peaceable if you ignore the occasional fish walking down the Rhoni path looking for a bite of lunch. If you are headed west, you should get there about the time we end up Bordertown-ways. So if we are sending folks there, make sure you got someone there to be welcoming them. Someone who’s trustable.

“Speaking of trust, don’t trust anyone who doesn’t live there. While it is a Korie outpost, those sent to serve the watchkeeper are usually sent there because they have done something deserving it.

“Oh.

“And never bother the locals on market day. Visit the nearby farms the day before or the day after. Disturbing the nearby trade never ends well.”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 23/03/15 00:23 UTC
The Heartwood

Bekkah

The elder woman just chuffed out a sharp breath.

“Lassie. You are not like the kids they sometimes send down here. The twins usually, because they have no parents to look after them and are wards of the Cathedral. Did you not ever wonder why no one questions when they are told to follow you?

“You have your own apprentice. Your choice could be considered quite barmy, but the children like her. It’s all they can talk about. Their Monster-lady. And while those in the Fifth Ring might laugh at your efforts way down here, they know that between the twins, your soft hearted nightmare, and a ranking Priestess from the other side of Silk Creek – the Farmer’s beloved – they have been shamed.”

She waved her hand at her two… apprentices… still looking at the broken window.

“You pair of mischief makers, go find a woodcarver to fix our window, won’t you? Tell them diamond panes, by order of this fine Imperial Lady. Then put on your best and it's off to the Second Ring glassblowers with you. “

Eyes wide, the two gathered up the hems of their skirts and rushed out of the old brothel. The elder returned her attention to Bekkah.

“You are not just a Lady.

“You are an Imperial lady.

“Of course you can speak for those in charge. Because it is you who is in charge.

“True, you will be leaving.

“But while you are still here this is your Ring. Don’t squander your time. That was a promise I sent those to out to fulfill: that you will bring change.

“Off with you.

“I am trusting you to not make me a liar.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 23/03/15 14:09 UTC
Bekkah

A true Imperial Lady might not take too well to be talked to like this woman did, but Bekkah only thought of herself as an Imperial Lady when she needed others to see that. With the people, she was simply Bekkah and she'd spent much of her life with people such as these and she was more than comfortable among them.

So she greeted the woman's order with a smile.

"You've seen a bit of my real personality amongst the people here. Now I will go and show others might more forceful side. You will not be made to look the fool. Neither of us will."

"I can leave these two here while I make my way back up to the Keep if you like. I don't think any will cause trouble for you with them here. And I will instruct them to be on their best behaviour."

Either way, Bekkah started back up to the keep. Her first task would be to get protection for the place and she knew exactly where to turn there. She knew the squires would be bound to protect the women of the place.

Then she intended to have a talk with the new Seneschal as well as the High Priestess. It was going to be a busy day and that made Bekkah smile as she headed back up the path. Nothing made her smile like leeping busy and doing good for those that needed her the most.
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 29/03/15 14:04 UTC
The Heartwood
Afernoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

Finding the Seneschal was not hard – it was not as if Bekkah did not know where his tower apartments were, nor was there a person who would dare bar her passage at even the Keep gates.

Though, speaking of which, there was a squire, all black and blue, being tended by what was obviously one of the more proper initiates, the young swordsman looking both red and black and blue. That was when Bekkah passed the Second Ring Hospice, from within which came disgruntled sounds of “ … how could you bring one of her type into here …” and that there was just as much disagreement as to what to about a white haired Initiate as there was having someone of such ill-repute beneath their oh so proper roof.

That and another minor disturbance, told in a shocked woman’s voice from inside the hospice.

YOU! You can’t have that – that’s our Squires lunch.”

Followed by the dry and somewhat non-plussed voice of a Dayalan Initiate.

“Huh?

"I won it fare and square.”

In the end, however, it seemed things were pretty much under control – they hadn’t been tossed out, the brothel girl was getting care, Romana was helping with bandages and Kay was eating someone else’s lunch. All was well in the world. As Bekkah climbed higher and higher into the city it became nicer and nice, finer and more fine. There was, also however, a curt and somewhat snarkish comment by the Knight at that last gate, the one letting Bekkah into the Keep itself.

“Back so soon ….”

Which was followed, after a well paced silence.

“… your Ladyship?”

Bekkah then ran into a final guard, just outside Tray Korie’s room. This one was grim, bedecked in a hooded cloak of dark colors, a touch of night in this late midday. This stern sentinel was also, very very very ….

Short.

It was The Mouse; and she didn’t say a word, but when Bekkah approached she just shook her head and did not move from the door. She held her place for a moment, then two, then she stepped aside, beckoning Bekkah to follow. There the little watch guardian both tempted, placated and offered up a piece of cheese, only slightly nibbled, to help pass the time away.

When, down the corridor, the doors to Tray’s room opened and closed - as if previous visitors had completed their own interview and taken there leave – only then did the Mouse lead Bekkah back and properly presented her to the new High Seneschal, all without a word – just an opening of the door, a sweep of a hand (hidden beneath overly long sleeves) and a proper bow.

From behind a table, in a comfortable chair, Tray looked up. He had a goblet of water next to him, that and a basket of cheese (of course), bread and muffins.

“Lady Bekkah.”

He smiled,

“And what brings you here this afternoon? I am still so vey thankful for your care. Though it seem once I got well, everyone and his brother, sister, aunt, uncle and cousin twelve times removed has something to be wanting. Well, except for Lady Jasmine; she is worried about what I’ll do with her tithes and is the only one who wants me to do nothing!”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 29/03/15 14:46 UTC
Bekkah

She made her way back to the Palace and anyone who watched her as she walked up the hill saw a transformation from kind healer to Imperial Lady.

She met Mouse's eyes and did not smile. She looked as imperious as ever as she waited to see Lord Trey.

Only once inside did she relax again, letting herself once again be the simple country girl she was at heart.

She gave Trey her most beautiful smile.

"Well, I will not say I'm sorry that I helped you become healthy enough to have these problems."

"But I suppose I am no different than many others seeking your aid."

"I would like to establish a place of healing within the first ring. It would require funding to get it started as well as to help maintain it. These are the people who require healing more than the ones who currently have access to it. It will also go a long way to ensuring the people's loyalty towards the nobles. More work done at their level can only help the entire realm."

"I am willing to dedicate myself to the cause while I am here. But before I approach the Grand Priestess about this, I wanted to make sure I had your backing as well as that of the Squires."
Kadri looks over to Mikal.

"Someone trustworthy. Got it."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 05/04/15 21:03 UTC
The Heartwood
Early Afternoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

Looking into the Mouse’s eyes is one of those easier said than done things. First, she is short enough to rival Kadri. Second, she is so strangely shy – looking this way and that to avoid being focused on, and full well knowing that if she dropped her head her face was even harder to see. And to top it all off was her hooded cloak, which was always worn up, came far forward and cast dark shadows even in the midday. The best that Bekkah could accomplish was a glint of brown.

She did not seem to be bothered by Bekkah’s imperious nature. And if the cheese weren't taken, she’d return to nibbling it herself.

“Grand Priestess?”

Lord Tray laughed.

“Isn’t the proper term 'High Priestess'? Although that does fit Lady Anastasia much better than her apprentice. Grand Priestess somehow matches Lady Jasmine’s personality.”

“However, this would certainly mean modifying the cathedral accounts; or someone else’s. There are some inequities I need to review with my Brother.

“But what you ask is certainly doable. The problem isn’t coin, it's finding people to take up the task and be willing to keep it up. I can certainly offer my support but unless the Cathedral and the Knights are set to maintain it, it will eventually fall to the wayside.

“I cannot convince the Knights of much – they are in the Khorall’s pockets, not mine. But we both know that they can be requested to perform any task by a Lady – and that is the only way to circumnavigate the politics between Cathedral and Crown. As for the temple and your sisters, I am not sure what to recommend.”

He then stopped; stopped and laughed quietly.

“You know my dear Lady, this sounds like the very sort of project one would take up upon retiring from their traditional service to the church.

“You do know someone in that position, don’t you?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Sun 05/04/15 21:03 UTC
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“And stay away from the Market on Marketday.”

Denys gave Kadri a slightly frustrated look.

“Someone not trustable at the Tower can louse up your plans.

“Making a Marketday mistake can louse up your life. Personally, I’d stay on the Talesan’s side of the Blackwater. There you just have Talesan’s to worry about, not Talesan’s and the Forest.

“And if you want to make a handful of crown, pick up a keg of beer from the tavern before you leave. The Farmer’s Tavern, that is. It’s the friendly one, has the best hot baths and the little barmaid is as cute as a button.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 13/04/15 17:19 UTC
Bekkah

She let him work through things.

"Someone retired?" she mused to herself, then smiled.

"Yes, I do. She'd be perfect. Well if she'd be willing to leave her current home. She could even bring her associate." she said smiling.

"What an excellent idea."

[ooc: I know who you mean, can't remember her name of the Hastur guy. Lady Kay? I tried looking back, but I can't remember where that was exactly. I'm sure Super OCD woman would know :)]
Posted By: Kel Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 13/04/15 17:26 UTC
[Super OCD Woman believes the Evil GM is referring to the locally retired High Priestess, Lady Anastasia.]
Kadri

"Absolutely. Yet I would have to say that my circle of close confidants in the local area that I would trust unfalteringly are limited in some ways to the servants of Dominic and those with whom I have traveled. Hence my pause for thought. I need to discuss wi those I know and trust to find one who is appropriate."
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 20/04/15 01:03 UTC
The Heartwood
Afternoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

“Actually I hadn’t thought of that. She does have the twins at her beck and call. I suspect they would follow in a heartbeat. It is true that the Fifth Ring is the paragon of the Talantal social ladder, but down in the First Ring they can actually work with folks instead of hauling water and rolling bandages for their elders. I suspect they will then surprise their so-called betters with a more rapid advancement in their service to Your Lady.”

Taking up a piece of parchment, the Korie lordling scribbled a missive, read it again, dusted it to make sure the ink would not smear and then rolled it tight and bound it with a ribbon. The ribbon was sealed with a dabbing of wax that was then impressed by Tray’s ring.

“Take this to Lady Anastasia – it is a pittance to start and sets up a small allowance. But then crowns carry a lot more weight in the First Ring than higher up.”

Smiling, Tray leaned back. “And I thank you and wish you well on your way. Starting one’s work with the founding of a Hospice – one cannot begin with better auspices, aye?”

Taking her leave from the lordling’s tower, Bekkah was then able to return to the Cathedral. Her welcome within was definitely of a different atmosphere, as she returned alone. Her apprentice was obviously still somewhere in the lower rings and today it seemed the white princess’ bodyguard was the one stirring up more trouble. Or, at the least, that was what could be divined from overhearing Squires grousing.

“I don’t care if she’s a girl. She don’t act like a lady, then she can be hit!”

Lady Anastasia was not hard to find; she was in the cloisters commons, resting on a bench with a basket of bread, cheese, a large book and an urn of scrolls.

“Lady Yurisdotter…”

The retired church elder looked up, her head tilting.

“I admit, I have been looking up precedent. It seems we are both right, to Lady Jasmine’s chagrin. There is no censure on any serving our Lady. Interestingly, and this was when Lady Jasmine threw me out of the Library, there seem to be some very, very old mentions of men practicing the healing arts with Her blessing.

“Nor is there any censure on those who may serve as our Protectors. It is true that they are supposed to be kind and virtuous and chivalrous… we shall pray that the softness of your Apprentice’s heart rubs off on the heart of your sister's Apprentice.”

Closing the book she looked up to the – technically – second rank Lady of the Temple, something that neither Jasmine, Hastur or Rames could gainsay as long as Bekkah as was in Talantal.

“How may an old chirurgeon serve you?”
Posted By: Wolf Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 20/04/15 01:04 UTC

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Denys waved his hand in the air as he once again took up his drink.

“Well, they be that-a-ways if I remember right. But then Talantal is a big place, so it’s easy to get misplaced.”

Dandelion simply rested back against the bar, looking at a mostly empty mug.

“Do not forget to look beyond the sword. It is true that Barris Ironhand is one of the best between mountains and sea. But his true skill is being able to figure out how to accomplish anything I ask of him.

“And I have asked some very outrageous things... not the least of which is how to best the might of Montague.

“They know we are coming. And just knowing that gives them a great advantage. So we have to turn that around.

“You face the same thing. That a Korie Lady is loose on the Highland Path will become known the moment you step through the gates and ride west. It’s a good thing you have Mikal and Daxia with you though they may not fully agree.”
Posted By: Nivek Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Mon 20/04/15 16:30 UTC
Bekkah

He was rewarded with a most beautiful smile and a deep curtsey when he agreed.

"Thank you. I will see if the good Lady shares my interest in this venture."

She pretty much bounced out of his office with excitement.

She greeted Lady Anastasia with a smile that probably tipped the wise woman that Bekkah was up to something.

"I have a favor to ask, a rather large one in fact." she began.

"But first, let me back up a bit. After my initial training, I was told to travel the lands, going from village to village to offer healing to those that needed it. It was an amazing experience. Never have I felt closer to our Lady. I also gained a certain selfish satisfaction by helping those that need it the most. They were always appreciative and I always felt like I was sharing the wonder of Our Lady's grace with them."

"The initiates here do not normally see that. They do mundane tasks and are practically sheltered from the working people. I think Marcy and Darcy would both admit that they now feel closer to our Lady since they've been helping those in the first Ring."

"And this brings me at last to the favor I'd ask of you. I would like to see a place of healing be setup in the First Ring. A place for initiates to truly gain skill in their arts. I have a place to begin along with a steady stipend from Lord Tray to help with the operation." she said holding up the scroll.

"I also believe we should have no trouble asking for the help of the squires for protection. All I need is for someone to lead the operation."

"And I was wondering if perhaps you might be interested." she said watching Lady Anastasia's eyes.

"I suspect that if I start it and then leave, it will fall apart, or be dismantled unless someone well respected runs the place."
Kadri:

"Let's just say that when one keeps constant company with Koromovs, it is occasionally of use to have a Knight of Rames in reserve, or perhaps in this case a noble and steadfast Jivrillian and a lady of the sword with a solid moral core. not to forget a Rhoni with a free spirit and a hunter true to their aims. Of course the conscience of an Atteran - or the skewed view of a newer Atteran. A person is only partly themselves and as much is the company they keep. Every person you call friend or ally is a part of you. The key, however, to running a good bluff is to let your opponents think they know what you are up to. That they have seen through your deception."

"But I babble. Your advice is very much appreciated.
Posted By: Zeim Re: HWD: The Month of Fates - Bekkah, Mikal, Kadri - Tue 21/04/15 13:29 UTC
Mikal

He hums to himself. "Perhaps. Though we could throw off the scent for a bit. Have someone pretend to be Kadri for a time, locked up in her rooms where only her servants see her. She and I could ride out in disguise, separately, and join the others on the trail. Once it was discovered she was gone, it might take a bit for anyone to figure out wher4e she'd gone."

He pauses.

"Question is, is it worth the trouble? Do we want it publicly known that a Korie Lady has sponsored a Troop of Jvrillians? Or would we be best off keeping people guessing. A new Troop with an unknown sponsor and unknown allegiances? I can see benefits to both."

He looks at Kadri. "The one might make you a target, though. The other gives us more freedom to act in unexpected ways."
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post